Replacing the CR2025 BIOS battery with a wire!

Format _C:

2[H]4U
Anyone know where to get a CR2025 battery with a wire and a 2-pin connector for my "new" Dell Precision M4800? I did not get the battery and as soon as it is unplugged it looses all of the BIOS/UEFI settings and the time and date.
If not any ideas on how to hack in a normal CR2025 cell? Maybe solder wires to 2 pieces of aluminum foil stick the battery in and cover in heat-shrink or electric tape any other ideas as I know soldering wires directly to a Lithium cell is not a good idea LoL!

Why do they do this? I would think this can use a normal CR2025 (which I have a few extra ones) but they choose this proprietary shit!

Here is a picture of what I'm dealing with

M4800_BIOS_Batt.jpg

Thanks

You can also use a CR2032. The voltage supply is the same. It's just thicker so you have to make sure it will fit in the housings. Hacking, I have no idea.

Anyone know where to get a CR2025 battery with a wire and a 2-pin connector for my "new" Dell Precision M4800? I did not get the battery and as soon as it is unplugged it looses all of the BIOS/UEFI settings and the time and date.
If not any ideas on how to hack in a normal CR2025 cell? Maybe solder wires to 2 pieces of aluminum foil stick the battery in and cover in heat-shrink or electric tape any other ideas as I know soldering wires directly to a Lithium cell is not a good idea LoL!

Why do they do this? I would think this can use a normal CR2025 (which I have a few extra ones) but they choose this proprietary shit!

Here is a picture of what I'm dealing with

View attachment 499847

Thanks
Do you have access to a soldering iron or gun? if so just un solder the leads from the old battery and solder them onto the new battery. I do this all the time, if done right you will not have an issue. After you solder the leads on the new battery use some heatshrink or electrical tape to cover the battery so you do not short anything out. use this type of battery for the install https://www.amazon.com/EEMB-Non-Rec...prefix=cr2025+with+solder+tabs,aps,175&sr=8-6

If you do not like the diy method then this should work: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251832760835673.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
https://www.jameco.com/z/CR2025-LEA...ithium-Coin-Battery-with-2-Leads_2238362.html

Just solder or crimp the connector onto this

https://www.jameco.com/z/CR2032-J03...-Molex-51021-Connector_2321447.html?CID=MERCH

or if that fits in the space no work needed.
And they do it for ease of assembly in the factory. Most battery vendors advertise a 10 year life of the coin cell, which is sadly not the case of how it actually is. We do very extensive coin cell testing here and most break down in 3-5years. The gaskets fail over time and slowly leak electrolyte which when measured the voltage will be still 3V but cant output much current.

Last edited:
Do you have access to a soldering iron or gun?
Yes I do, I have one of those infamous T12 Hakko clones that is actually pretty good for what it is and what I paid for it.
I was hoping to get away with not having to buy anything as I already have quite a few "extra" CR2025's as well as 2032's I have to get a power adapter for it as well as it is not happy with the 130W unit it needs a 180W one! so I was hoping for a hack of sorts LoL!
I guess I can try and steal the battery socket off of one of my many dead boards I was meaning to scrap!

NEVER SOLDER DIRECTLY ONTO BATTERIES!!

That is the worst thing you can do, chances are the battery will explode and if you're lucky, it will bit your face.

With that said, seeding on tabs isn't an issue of course, but just wanted this to be clear for people that might misread things here.
If you are soldering onto the tabs or leads, you still do not want contact for more than two seconds as the heat transfers to the battery quickly with the same result as directly soldering onto the battery.

Yeah Lenovo does this crap too and the connector changes (!) between models so it's a huge PITA finding the right little microscopic plastic connector... Lenovo does have a parts site where individual parts like it can be ordered though, so at least there's that- but prior to knowing that I took a CR2032 and electrical-taped it to hell to connect to the old wires :ROFLMAO:

Desktop or laptop?
laptop, i dont think their desktops have this issue. i don't think i've ever seen a desktop with a proprietary CMOS battery connector, not that i wouldn't expect it from the big manufacturers

laptop, i dont think their desktops have this issue. i don't think i've ever seen a desktop with a proprietary CMOS battery connector, not that i wouldn't expect it from the big manufacturers
Used to be common...now? Ehh.

Reactions: xx0xx
like this
Isn't it just easier to buy something off eBay?
Yes but I'm cheap so once I get more $ I think I'll get These as I get 10 and I'm not afraid of a little soldering since I now have a "real" soldering iron vs the POS RadioShack heated nail I had since I was 14 (in 1998) this iron is really a great tool for the price I paid for it!

I did have to add a wire to the chassis as so many Chinese items have the ground pin there but not connected to anything ask BigClive I'm sure he will know what I'm talking about LoL!

Yes but I'm cheap so once I get more $ I think I'll get These as I get 10 and I'm not afraid of a little soldering since I now have a "real" soldering iron vs the POS RadioShack heated nail I had since I was 14 (in 1998) this iron is really a great tool for the price I paid for it!

I did have to add a wire to the chassis as so many Chinese items have the ground pin there but not connected to anything ask BigClive I'm sure he will know what I'm talking about LoL!
I'm hardly a spendthrift, but I am willing to spend "some" money to save a lot of time, meaning software utilities that automate common PC maintenance tasks.

I took a CR2032 and electrical-taped it to hell to connect to the old wires

That is what I ended up doing here and a CR2032 did fit even with my copious amount of black electrical tape! It seems to work plus being in a small cavity helps the tape stay put and as tested it does work and it now holds the CMOS values as well as the time, so this is it for now LoL I guess eventually I will get the correct batteries but I know what to buy now thanks to [H]ard Forum

Reactions: xx0xx
like this
Back