Replacing R9 270x with 2x GTS 450 cards

ChRoNo16

[H]ard|Gawd
I hate this card with a passion, I am so tired of driver crashed playing battlefield 4 I am going to try swapping for dual GTS 450 cards I have lying around.

Why? Because Im broke and annoyed!

Anyone got thoughts on this?

I hate this card with a passion, I am so tired of driver crashed playing battlefield 4 I am going to try swapping for dual GTS 450 cards I have lying around.

Why? Because Im broke and annoyed!

Anyone got thoughts on this?

Save some money and buy a new card? Even a gt 1030 gddr5 is going to be faster. Unless the games you play run fine on the 450’s, if that’s the case, more power to you.

Hah! I wont be seeing money anytime soon.

So far so good even BF4 seems to work. if what I know of SLI is true (Idk much) if it combines the power of both cards they together run faster than my 270x but a little less ram on the card

GTS 450 SLI is about on par with an old HD 5850....

So, fyi your 270x is literally twice as fast as a 450 SLI setup.

Should have sold those cards when they worth something.

GTS 450 has a 1557 passmark score and the 270x has a score of 4683. That means even with perfect SLI scaling, a single 270x would still be over 50% faster.

In one of my boxes, I have 2gb 270X's running crossfire, and it generates a nearly identical score in Heaven as a GTX 1060 6gb box. They are both Dell Precision T3500's with close processor power and ram. 270x is a pretty solid card still I think

I agree.

Comparatively, my GTX 960 is only 20% faster and I'm content with everything I play except PUBG.

Yeah I think the 270/270X are still pretty good 1080p60 gaming cards if you don't expect ultra settings.
My kids have a 270 (Oc'ed @ 270X clocks) in each of their rigs, and both are happy.
My daughter plays nothing but Smite with hers, but my son plays CS:GO, Warframe, LoL, WoW, Dota2 and some FPS's here and there.

I play PUBG with my 960 fairly well, considering how un-optimized it can be. It does smack the shit out of my CPU though. 65%-80% on all 4c8t.
You might want to look into grabbing an used 860 to replace that i5 :).

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=i7+860

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I play PUBG with my 960 fairly well, considering how un-optimized it can be. It does smack the shit out of my CPU though. 65%-80% on all 4c8t.
You might want to look into grabbing an used 860 to replace that i5 :).

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=i7+860

Ten steps ahead of you friendo.

Snagged an x3450 on Ali for $22.

hqdefault.jpg

(sadly the shipping wait is up to 40 days, but whatever)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sweet! That's a hella deal!

Yeah, between that and me hoping to snag a used 1060 6GB for cheap off a [H] member in the near future....

Ol' Lucy here should be good for another year. :) (at least till RAM prices chill the fug out)

Yeah, between that and me hoping to snag a used 1060 6GB for cheap off a [H] member in the near future....

Ol' Lucy here should be good for another year. :) (at least till RAM prices chill the fug out)

I feel ya, I'm thinking along the exact same lines as you for myself.

This isnt a debate of the card itself being good. The 270x server me well for a while, but the constant driver crashes have made it useless. Not much fun when everytime u get 3/4 of the way through a BF4 match your video drivers crash and lockup the PC

This isnt a debate of the card itself being good. The 270x server me well for a while, but the constant driver crashes have made it useless. Not much fun when everytime u get 3/4 of the way through a BF4 match your video drivers crash and lockup the PC

It goes without saying you uninstalled the old drivers properly, booted into safe-mode and ran DDU....

Before installing the latest AMD driver rioght??

And even tried re-imaging and a fresh install? Checked PSU voltages..etc.

you sure its the drivers? those cards were basically factory overclocked and didn't have the best cooling usually. I had a ton of them back when BTC hit $1k the first time. Most of my setup was 270x area. I'd underclock the hell out of them and hold a box fan to the side of my case before I really stick to blaming the drivers. AMD has always had terrible drivers but most of the real issues I'd have eventually link back to heat or power.

Leave the voltage stock and simply reduce the speeds a large amount like 25% or more and if you have the case enclosed at all also make sure it is on your desk and fully capable of breathing right.

Toxic ED. so not overclocked unless I turn on the switch on its side (I never did) has triple fans with heat pipe. I forced all games to run its fans at 70+ percent RPM's when in game. Case is a Mountainmods U2-UFO so plenty of airflow.

temps werent an issue, I kept this thing cold as far as video cards go. It wasw all just app crashed and driver related bullshit. Yes, fresh install of windows didnt help.

Card sounds like its probably dying a slow death. Have you tried either giving it more voltage or underclock (default voltage) slightly?

I didnt just because it seemed like a driver issue. personally I would rather not mess with it at all at this point. I dont even want to put it back in my gaming rig.

while your all here tho, what thermal paste can be used on GPUs? I always heard u werent supposed to use the stuff for CPUs

You don't want to mess with a slider in the driver setting, but are prepared to dismantle and redo the thermal paste? I don't know what makes you think crashing in a high profile (BF4) game is normal.

Granted, the sensor could be messed up. About a year ago I bought a Hercules Radeon 9700 Pro. Sensors were fine (<45C load), but 3D Apps (Quake III/3DMark) would freeze after a minute. I repasted it (back then it was just two pushpins) as a last ditch effort. Low and behold it runs great now. I just used Arctic MX-4.

The thermal paste question pertains to the 450 cards, sorry I was not clear. Those have been apart before for cleaning but I feel need new thermal paste now.

The 270 is just sitting as a paperweight now.

Back