Replacing Op-Amps in a Topping D10 DAC

Maybe you need to read a little more on what makes a good speaker. Try the works of Olive and Toole. The 800D has bad on and off axis response and ranks low in blind testing for this reason.

I'm well aware of those works as I design speakers professionally. I've had direct correspondence with Dr. Toole.

There are kits that actually offer quality surrounds replacements.

Quality surrounds for Mal-X? I've tried some of these non-off the shelf cone replacements for JBL's and no-name woofers, let me say that the quality isn't always there. I'm sure others have a much different experience but I won't be trusting a woofer replacement from a non-OEM origin.

These things were pretty niche at the time, when they went a lot of people didn't notice. I'm sure Nyt will disagree with that, but it was different when they went under versus TC Sounds, I actually had orders in for Mal's when they went under but I was never charged. I wish I would of ordered the Ultra 5400's before they went, I was too busy blowing my money on other stuff at the time (kids, wife, moving).

Quality surrounds for Mal-X? I've tried some of these non-off the shelf cone replacements for JBL's and no-name woofers, let me say that the quality isn't always there. I'm sure others have a much different experience but I won't be trusting a woofer replacement from a non-OEM origin.

These things were pretty niche at the time, when they went a lot of people didn't notice. I'm sure Nyt will disagree with that, but it was different when they went under versus TC Sounds, I actually had orders in for Mal's when they went under but I was never charged. I wish I would of ordered the Ultra 5400's before they went, I was too busy blowing my money on other stuff at the time (kids, wife, moving).

The sole purpose of the surround to act as a linear spring to control and bring back the excursion of a woofer. I'm not talking replacing the cones which have unique properties. But you can replace the surrounds with a number of quality well proven materials.

Only a very small (and I do mean small) number of mfg I know take into account smearing (caused by signal transfer on the surround). The reason is reflection when traveling from one material constant to another. It's because very few mfg have the proper equipment to analyze the radiating pattern. Only the big boys do.

nyt Should have gotten those woofers reconed. I bet it wouldn't have cost very much compared to buying new subs and they would have literally been brand new again.

No, the problem was in the motor itself. They were scrap. The shorting rings were not properly glued inside.

Man too much to delete lol. Anyways true, off axis response does sometime suffer poor response characteristics after EQ is applied (tho this mainly applies to increasing PEQ versus reducing) but if that were the case I’d just throw away the monitor. I’m not going to use it if I can’t EQ it :)

Does the B&W monitors exhibit poor off axis resonance? I thought they would show very little with the HF being in a bubble type enclosure.

The off-axis in general on the b&w is bad. This is due to component choice and crossover frequency. The resonances are from the transducer itself, not the enclosure.

The sole purpose of the surround to act as a linear spring to control and bring back the excursion of a woofer. I'm not talking replacing the cones which have unique properties. But you can replace the surrounds with a number of quality well proven materials.

Only a very small (and I do mean small) number of mfg I know take into account smearing (caused by signal transfer on the surround). The reason is reflection when traveling from one material constant to another. It's because very few mfg have the proper equipment to analyze the radiating pattern. Only the big boys do.

The surround generally provides very little 'spring' action. Most of that comes from the spider and the motor. The main purpose of the surround is to keep the moving assembly lined up properly in the gap and allow for enough movement while doing so.

nyt That sucks. There are services that can realign motors and more, but then your repair bill is climbing higher. Sorry to hear that.

Reactions: nyt
like this
nyt That sucks. There are services that can realign motors and more, but then your repair bill is climbing higher. Sorry to hear that.

It was forever ago, not a big deal as Kevin ended up taking care of it so I wasn't out anything but some shipping. That batch killed exodus :( Thanks China...

He actually asked for them to be destroyed and not repaired.

I replaced them with something better anyway...
GvbJD.jpg

It was forever ago, not a big deal as Kevin ended up taking care of it so I wasn't out anything but some shipping. That batch killed exodus :( Thanks China...

He actually asked for them to be destroyed and not repaired.

I replaced them with something better anyway...
View attachment 107226
Too bad they also went under...

I've recently heard that Thilo has something in the works again.. but this is the second time I've heard that, so who knows..
Wasn’t he coming out to make a sub for some OEM? I can’t remember the name...

I mean, I really hope he does and manages this new start up better...

Wasn’t he coming out to make a sub for some OEM? I can’t remember the name...

I mean, I really hope he does and manages this new start up better...

There were rumors he was going to be working with monoprice on their subs, but I don't think that happened. Last I knew he was working with Tymphany.

There were rumors he was going to be working with monoprice on their subs, but I don't think that happened. Last I knew he was working with Tymphany.

Yea monoprice was it! If he is working with Tymphany can he bring his XBL^2 motors to them?

I'm a big fan of the supposed 90mm of xmech

xmech is around 45mm, which is nice for the low end, but the upper end is not so great. Even more so, an 18 only needs 30mm excursion for same displacement, and a 21 only need about 22mm. It's an interesting driver for small sealed enclosures, but otherwise there are much better options.

xmech is around 45mm, which is nice for the low end, but the upper end is not so great. Even more so, an 18 only needs 30mm excursion for same displacement, and a 21 only need about 22mm. It's an interesting driver for small sealed enclosures, but otherwise there are much better options.
I was being facetious, too bad they never sent the driver to ricci.

I am really hoping the new Fi Audio drivers deliver on their HT line. The HT1 was pretty nice and the HT2/3 has an xmax of 38.

I was being facetious, too bad they never sent the driver to ricci.

I am really hoping the new Fi Audio drivers deliver on their HT line. The HT1 was pretty nice and the HT2/3 has an xmax of 38.

would be nice to have a good 18 to recommend to people... i just hope they have more motor force than the ht1, which is pretty weak. rofl, did you see their motor came apart on some neo driver in another thread? bolts too short.... least they're making it right

would be nice to have a good 18 to recommend to people... i just hope they have more motor force than the ht1, which is pretty weak. rofl, did you see their motor came apart on some neo driver in another thread? bolts too short.... least they're making it right
Haha yea I felt really bad, that dude fried 4+ drivers prior to that! Some of those bolts didn’t make it past the plate!

According to the one dude they keep saying they are making the motor stronger. I have my hopes up!

Haha yea I felt really bad, that dude fried 4+ drivers prior to that! Some of those bolts didn’t make it past the plate!

According to the one dude they keep saying they are making the motor stronger. I have my hopes up!

That dude is running his subs in his basement.... except he listens on the floor above... facepalm...

That dude is running his subs in his basement.... except he listens on the floor above... facepalm...
He should turn his basement into a massive series-6th order sub.

It took me a few times reading that post to understand what he was doing. I’ve never heard people do that that before...

Next couple of days we find out what the T/S is on the Fi’s $500 sub!

Back