Replacing my U3011 - 27" 1440p or 21:9?

Boyiee

Limp Gawd
Due to a recent move I had to part with my beloved U3011. Currently I'm working off an old Asus 24" 1080p monitor and it is just about that time to replace it.

I'm running a GTX 970, there's a slight chance I'll add another or make a push to maybe a ti. I have a 680 in the closet and between the two on ebay it might justify the upgrade. Chances are though, I'll be with the single 970 for a while. Sli 970's aren't out of question though.

So with that said, I'm looking at going with either a 27" 1440p or ultrawide 21:9 monitor. The swift looks good and there are other models around the corner, but dropping 1k for some 21:9's is pretty rough, especially considering I might only have the single 970 for a while.

With only running a single 970, what models should I be looking at to comfortably use? I'd like to think that I'm definitely getting another 970, but I'm looking at worst case scenario. Selling both the 680 and 970 might get me two 290's for more vram I suppose. I mostly play MMO's and MOBA's and GTA5 but with Blizzards Overwatch around the corner FPS's might make a come back.

If you want a safe bet, 1440p.

If you want the monitor for productivity, entertainment and gaming, then the 21:9 is seriously good. However, be prepared for: terrible QC on these monitors, if you don't have to return it at least once you're lucky, a lot of games not supporting it properly (some can be fixed with an app), and yeah, potential headaches with a 970. It should still run everything near max though and get 60fps.

As for the model? I'd avoid the Samsung, the text isn't as sharp as on IPS monitors which can be quite a bad drawback, banding is also visible. For IPS, probably safe bet for DELL for their returns policy if you get a dud.

I would get an Asus PG278Q or Acer XB270HU whichever you can find cheaper as they are both great monitors. The only thing I see the ultra wides have going for them is the extra pixels on the side and that's it. The 27 inch 1440p monitors I mentioned have a higher refresh rate, probably have less input lag, and have G Sync. Losing all 3 of those just for some extra side pixels isn't worth it imo. The ultra wides also tend to be slightly more expensive.

I see posts in some of the threads getting some of the monitors mentioned for steals, are there promotions I'm missing or are these guys getting warehouse deals and such?

Just get Acer XB27HU i moved from same Dell 3011u, best purchase i ever did.
The Real-estate loss is not that big, you will adjust in just couple of hours, but the pros against Dell its just too good: 144hz, and G-Sync and you still have IPS.
you will wonder how could you stay with Dell for so long ;)

Amazon having the Dell 34 for 899 with the main 27inch choices hovering around 750 makes me want to go with the Dell as its not too much more expensive. Waiting for the Acer 34 would be great but the price point is too high for me. If I saw a sale on one of these though I'd probably have already made my purchase.

I switched from a Dell U3011 to the Dell U3415W and I am very happy with the upgrade. I was able to pick the U3415W from Adorama several weeks ago for $849 with free shipping. I am running SLI (2) EVGA GTX 780 TI Classified's. I play BF4 for the most part and I am getting over 100fps during game play. Personally I would not go down in size from the Dell U3011, with that being said I have never used or played games on G sync monitor.

I switched from a Dell U3011 to the Dell U3415W and I am very happy with the upgrade. I was able to pick the U3415W from Adorama several weeks ago for $849 with free shipping. I am running SLI (2) EVGA GTX 780 TI Classified's. I play BF4 for the most part and I am getting over 100fps during game play. Personally I would not go down in size from the Dell U3011, with that being said I have never used or played games on G sync monitor.

Loosing couple of inches to play at 144hz and G-sync is game changer and totally worth it.

I used to think like that my self, been on 30" dell for almost 10yrs with with 3007-HC and then 3011u and could never find a monitor to replace my Dell's and was never even considered anything lower like 27".
But once i got the Acer 1440p 144hz and g-sync i was blown away by the motion and smoothness compared to Dell, you would have the put a gun to my head to start using 60hz screen again even at 40" 4k.
Acer made my Dell 3011u look like from Jurasic Era, archaic outdated and just plane broken.

See I don't really play FPS games though so I'm not sure I have the same need or will see the difference of a 144hz gsync. More than 80% of the time I spend playing MMO's. It would save me $100-$200 though lol.

Hey , maybe it is because i am old but as a long time gamer that is now just a casual player the low cost 34UM65 2560x1080 looks great to me and wont break the bank for the screen or the video subsystem needed to drive it.

Just my .02

Thanks but after years of 2560x1600 and having seen some 2560x1080 I'm definitely going with either 1440p ultra wide, 27inch or 4k if I can get the gpu power.

Another happy 3011>3415 owner here. Yes, the backlight bleed is pretty crap but overall I'm happy with it, particularly for gaming.

The Acer is pretty tempting to, but driving it is going to be too much effort I think.

Back