Replacing my beloved Logitech MX518?

Karant

Gawd
Well, I'm actually planning on buying a second one. I bought one of these back in 2006 and it works as good as ever. By far my favorite mouse I have ever used. Nothing can pry it from my dead cold hands! Now I'm looking to buy another one however they are evidently discontinued. I can find some new ones on eBay for ~$150.00 which is twice as much as I had paid originally. Anyone got any recommendations for something similar, modern, and affordable? Thanks!

Wired or wireless? If it's for gaming, what genres do you usually play?

I don't usually play games really. I am fine with either wired or wireless really.

If you really loved the Mx518, take a look at the Logitech G400s. It's basically the spiritual successor to the 518, and keeps most of the overall design.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I did a bunch of research this week on mice. What I learned:

There's a good comparison of the G400 and G500 here. Differences between the G400 and G400s are minor. The big criticism of the G400, G400s, G500 and G500s is that the cord fails very easily. Logitech replaces them very easily if they do fail, so that's good - just make sure that you do what you need to do to register the product and be able to get it replaced.
Edit: The first version of the G400 had angle snapping enabled by default and got heavy criticism for that which is still ranked #1 when google searching on "MX518 vs G400". Later versions of the G400 and all versions of the G400s have angle snapping turned off by default.

People who were faithful to the MX518/G5/G400/G400s/G500/G500s shape are usually pleasantly surprised by the ergonomics of the Razer DeathAdder, which has recently been revised (referred to as the Razer DeathAdder 2013). The main criticism is even worse durability; they fall apart a lot.

Steelseries has just released the Steelseries Rival which has an ergonomic shape which, if you are a palmgrip or hybrid palmgrip user, is considered yet even better than the DeathAdder. While it is so new it's hard to talk about durability, it seems to be manufactured to be more durable. It's not really for clawgrip or small hands, though.

I have a Steelseries Rival coming in the mail.

Last edited:
Habu if you can find one, Intellimouse or another MX518. The G5 was not too bad. G500 is not bad either. I'd gladly take my G9 over all of those though even though. The Razer stuff is just plain rubbish.

I'm kind of in a similar spot. I had a G500 which suffered from "mushy" left click button, so I got a G500s. Same thing... just doesn't take much to depress the left click and it's not very precise, so I'm going to return it.

Just have to find a decent replacement.

I'm kind of in a similar spot. I had a G500 which suffered from "mushy" left click button, so I got a G500s. Same thing... just doesn't take much to depress the left click and it's not very precise, so I'm going to return it.

Just have to find a decent replacement.

I've been loving the G602 that I picked up the other day. Wireless, 250+ hrs battery life in "performance mode" and 1400+ hrs in "endurance mode." I was worried about the 500hz polling, but I honestly can't tell the difference between this mouse and a wired one. It also *only* goes up to 2500dpi, but I have always used around 2000dpi max anyway, so I'm fine with it. Also a completely new design from Logitech for their G-series mice.

Check it out: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'll sell you my MX518. It is used. $100 :) HEY! That is $50 less than you can get elsewhere :)

Back