Replacing Geforce 6150LE board with... ?

ameoba

Supreme [H]ardness
My dad's PC seems to be having problems with some of his front USB ports having failed. He says he's checked the physical connections & they're fine. He plugged the bad ports into the good mobo connectors (and vice versa) and they started working (and the once-good connectors stopped). In my book, this is a pretty good sign that there's something dead on the board.

Just to be on the safe side, I'll have him remove the devices from device manager to see if it's just some Windows Brain Damage that's causing the connector to fail. Maybe I can get him to boot some Linux LiveCD for extra verification.

I'm not sure -why- he cares so much about having all of his USB ports working but it's a pretty high priority for him. Assuming the software fixes all fail (which I strongly suspect they will) it'll be time to replace the board in his system. I don't really know much about the current board - it's built by Asus & has a Gefoce 6150LE chipset (here's some other details).

So, here's the real question : if I have to replace the motherboard with another one, is there a reasonable chance I can just drop it in & avoid a reinstall of WinXP if I get another 6150 board? Since it's an older chipset, finding a replacement might be tricky - how about if I install something based on a newer Nvidia chipset?

Back