Replacing Apple AirPort Extreme Router. Need Recommendations

kage

n00b
I have an Apple Airport Extreme Router for several years and its been very reliable. I'm going to replace it with a new router. I really don't need a WiFi 6 (AX) router since all of my devices are on WiFi 5. I'm thinking of spending from $160 to $200 on a router. The router is going to be in my bedroom. I recently tried out the Netgear R7000p and it had issues with disconnecting wireless devices, I had to reboot it several times a day and it has bright led lights that couldn't let me sleep. I really need to have at least an AC2200 router. I'm looking for speed, security, and reliability. I don't need a bulky router. I've been researching these routers for the past a few days:
1. Asus RT-AX58U
2. Google Nest WiFi Router

Which router is the best option?

You need to ask yourself. Is all out speed a priority or is coverage stability? If the latter look at a mesh system. Or look unifi's new alien router. It looks to be a beast. Even ac wifi 5 clients will benefit

If the airport is reliable why replace it? Are you just looking to upgrade the wireless capability? If so #3 is the way to go. Otherwise, what's the goal?

Back