Replacement needed for a dead Sapphire 7970HD

Eight8

n00b
The 7970 I bought back in January 2012 seems to have died on me and I'm looking for a replacement. Since so much has changed since I bought this card, I have no idea where to start.

Ideally I'm looking for something of equal performance but I'll settle for less if the price is right, I don't care if its Nvidia or AMD.

I haven't decided on a budget yet because I don't really know what the average prices are for cards in this category.

Any feedback is more than welcome and feel free to shout if you have any questions.

P.S. Thanks to all the contributors here for helping me spec this machine 5 years ago. It has performed extremely well and I couldn't be more happy with it.

Thanks,
Eight

General Specs:
Intel I5 2500k @ 4.7
Asus P8Z68-V PRO
16 Gig Patriot Signature Line 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Antec 900W PSU

What resolution do you game in?

On paper since you had a 7970 (a high-end card in its day) you should be aiming for a GTX1080 - starts around $600 US.

If you game only at 1080p you would probably be okay with a 6GB GTX1060 or 8GB RX480, around $250 US.

What resolution do you game in?

On paper since you had a 7970 (a high-end card in its day) you should be aiming for a GTX1080 - starts around $600 US.

If you game only at 1080p you would probably be okay with a 6GB GTX1060 or 8GB RX480, around $250 US.

Thanks for the quick response!

I'm not actually looking for a "new" high end card. More specifically I'm looking for a card that is similar in performance to the 7970. I basically just need a hold over until I do a rebuild. I also only game with a single 1080 display.

I apologize for not being clear enough in my original post.

Thanks,
Egiht

I'd go for a gtx 1050. It's going to be the closest to his 7970. Probably a little faster.

I'd probably recommend a 1060GTX as IMO at gaming 1080p it's hard to beat the bang for the $, especially considering the power envelope. It could be brought forward to a future build, but compliment his current rig nicely. Jet.com deals seem stellar. Yeah you can go cheaper, but in the long run I think you'd be happier overall with the 1060. The Radeon 480 would give similar performace, just less than the 1060 so if you could snag a good deal on one of those compared to a 1060 and you don't care about vid card oc'ing that may be a valid option, although at a fair bit higher power consumption.

I've seen the 470's for 160$ ish in the hot deals thread, that's going to be extremely hard to beat for what is roughly 30% faster than a 7970.

If possible, I'd stick it out for black friday / cyber monday deals. Last year I saw the GTX 950 for like $20 off. $20 isn't much, but a 1050 (Ti) for $20 puts it at a better deal.

I'd recommend a Microcenter if you live near one, the place near me has tons of cards on sale along with open boxes to save some money.

Hold over card equal to a 7970 means go used. No reason to spend more than you have to for that level of performance.

Jesus Christ, the first guy goes straight to the 1080. I'd say a 480 or 1060 would be a good replacement.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. Absolutely amazing community here. For anyone who is interested I ended up going with an RX470 for 250CAD with an additional 30$ MIR if they actually honour it.

Again, thanks everyone for your feedback!

Back