Replacement NB fan for DFI LanParty boards

seniorpaul

Limp Gawd
I just installed the Evercool VC-RE fan as a replacement for the NB fan on my DFI LanParty SLI-DR board. The stock fan was just too loud for me, and as i read on a couple of forums that it would fit, i figured i would give it a go. It was a little bit of a tight fit getting the pushpins to lineup with the stock holes on the motherboard, but it does fit. Also, the videocard BARELY has any clearance (but it didn't with the stock fan either). As for performance, the evercool fan is significantly quieter than the stock fan. In fact, i don't hear it at all anymore. Not only that, but it dropped my NB temps a good 5c.

I got mine from Jab-tech for only $8, but they seem to be out of stock now (probably from DFI owners). Sorry the pics aren't that great, but i just wanted to show that it would fit.

yea im gonna look into this. i hate the noise. my dfi board is currently in the mail. OP, can we see some more pics of your setup even tho its kinda off topic?

and yea for that price it sounds good. does anyone know if these are speed controllable thru speedfan or the like?

Wow, thanks for the heads up!
I've been wanting to replace my NB fan for awhile now but didn't know which would give me clearance with my video card.
Did you use AS5 or thermal tape?

AS5 on my stock heatsink alone, dropped temps 6-7*C. Just for anyone interested, it's another easy and viable option. But NB fan looks sick either way

n64man120 said:
AS5 on my stock heatsink alone, dropped temps 6-7*C. Just for anyone interested, it's another easy and viable option. But NB fan looks sick either way
really?
I might look into doing that when I transfer my pc to my new case.

doox00 said:
This the same as the Evercool VC-RE fan? It will fit still? How is the noise compared to the Evercool?

I believe they're completely identical. There's a third company that makes one that looks exactly the same too. I think they all use the same design. No idea about noise difference, I doubt there's much of one.

On any of them, you have to make a couple small cuts in it to avoid small components on the motherboard.

See this post (it's not in regards to this cooler, but) the 5th picture down shows the problem components. The caps circled aren't a problem for this cooler, just those two small elliptical things. Most people take a dremel to it, but if you don't have one a drill may work or just a metal file.

Thanks for the link, i may have to get one of these, does anyone else konw of any other good ones???

dfi-street.com has a few threads about heatsinks for the 'convenient' placement of their northbridge chip. However I'm STILL looking for a waterblock that will clear the video cards. I've been told that if you move all the jumpers you can use the lower PCI-E slot for your video card, giving you plenty of clearance to put a waterblock or larger northbridge heatsink on it, however that means your video card bus will be at PCI-Express x8. Plus if you plan to use SLI, well, this doesn't make your situation any better. Whether or not that bandwidth will make a noticeable difference I will find out tomorrow when my parts arrive.

hmm, well mips and aquacomputer both make waterblocks for it i think... *shrug

I know just about everyone these days make northbridge waterblocks, but this motherboard needs a very low profile waterblock with barbs strategically placed so the tubing will fit between both cards that extend over the northbridge chip.

Don't hold out on me, if you know something I dont please tell me! :D

i did that to mines also, i keep it to 3000rpms with smart gaurdian
I kind of like the blue/red led as well

Basheron said:
I know just about everyone these days make northbridge waterblocks, but this motherboard needs a very low profile waterblock with barbs strategically placed so the tubing will fit between both cards that extend over the northbridge chip.

Don't hold out on me, if you know something I dont please tell me! :D

el rolio did just tell you lol. mips and aquacomputer both make northbridge blocks designed for the DFI NF4 boards. mips even makes mosfet blocks for the DFI board. They are both small bore blocks though.

I checked sharka, I know they aren't great for the latest aqua-computer products, do you know somewhere to buy them? I've been google-ing with no sucess. Thanks.

back on topic: i went over to dfi-street and not much luck in the way of threads with links / pics of replacement nb fans.... anyone got links or any other replacement besides the evercool (since its sold out, cuz i'd get one now as i await my board's arrival)

thanks man, and jab-tech has the evercool hsf back in stock. making a decision now myself on it.

Question: Why do you need to use the regular iceberq cooler (version 4) as opposed to the "pro" model. Someone at DFI-street mentioned getting the "pro" model, and someone here said to not get it.

Thanks.

I just use the stock cooler and slow it right down,

It still stays within tolerances (avg 55c) and doesnt seem to cause any instability.

The vantec DOESNT work without modding ,it is to high (15mm).
The Evercool works with no mods or grinding and plug allows using mobo header for fan control. ;)

heres some pics of mines installed. That's a evga 7800gt right on top of it, you can barely fit a piece of paper through the gap.

dsc008611pa.jpg

dsc008621bw.jpg

and its quieter right? mines on its way, i think i get it today or tomorrow. tis aiit tho wont be able to setup the system till i get some new gfx cards. but thanks for hte pic man! that'll be like hte only thing with light in ma case right now.

el rolio said:
and its quieter right? mines on its way, i think i get it today or tomorrow. tis aiit tho wont be able to setup the system till i get some new gfx cards. but thanks for hte pic man! that'll be like hte only thing with light in ma case right now.

well no, its not. I have a 7800GT so it directly vents the heat onto the chipset, which makes the RPMS spin super hard because of RPM monitoring. It IS quieter then the stock chipset fan but its not silent. I used smart gaurdian to keep it at 3000rpms at all times. you might want to do the same. anything above 3500 is super loud

rolio, after u install it, let me know wat temps ur getting, im doing about 37-41c idle

The northbridge on the SLI-DR Expert is now between the video cards, so i can put any kind of block I want on there. The fan is supposedly quieter also, I'll be able to tell this weekend when I have a lan with my friend who has the normal SLI-DR, cause otherwise i have not baseline. My last mobo had a completely passive nb heatsink. (Intel 875)

M.D.K. said:
The northbridge on the SLI-DR Expert is now between the video cards, so i can put any kind of block I want on there. The fan is supposedly quieter also, I'll be able to tell this weekend when I have a lan with my friend who has the normal SLI-DR, cause otherwise i have not baseline. My last mobo had a completely passive nb heatsink. (Intel 875)

nope its the same exact fan, its not quieter (same). It just has better placement. good for water blocks UNLESS your running SLI

yea mane, i'll let you know. my gfx cards will be watercooled so that should help the situation out, but for sure i'll be using speedfan or smartguardian (my first dfi therefore first time with it) to keep speeds low, thanks for the tip

Back