Replacement for Intel Core i7-4770K?

GT98

[H]ard|Gawd
Been running this system for about 5 years now and I'm looking at replacing it maybe next year. Its been running fabulously for the most part, but recently I've noticed some minor performance niggles that might be from the hardware level bugs recently discovered.

Anyways, I was looking at replacements-its running at 4.4Ghz no problems. Any suggestions for replacements?

Realistically you're looking at the coffee lake stuff (8700k). But if you can hold out for the next refresh I would.

What hardware level bugs are you talking about?

Reactions: drklu
like this
Realistically you're looking at the coffee lake stuff (8700k). But if you can hold out for the next refresh I would.

What hardware level bugs are you talking about?

Spectre

i'm in no rush-I prob won't be on the market till next summer anyways

Honestly unless you want to go AMD which I am thinking is just now on par with Haswell at 4.4ghz with the zen plus architecture, I think you would be better served waiting to see if Intel's next gen has the hardware bugs actually patched out. It does suck that ASUS has not released any z97 updates for their boards to fix the issues :(

Been running this system for about 5 years now and I'm looking at replacing it maybe next year. Its been running fabulously for the most part, but recently I've noticed some minor performance niggles that might be from the hardware level bugs recently discovered.

Anyways, I was looking at replacements-its running at 4.4Ghz no problems. Any suggestions for replacements?

Wait for Zen 2 and Icelake. They should bring some change, not just refreshments.

I upgraded from a 4.5Ghz oc/ed 4770k to a 4.2Ghz oc/ed 6850k.

The difference wasnt at all noticeable in any real world way.

I say wait - even though it’s tough. The tech in me wants to upgrade my system every 2-3 years, but the real world observable differences just aren’t there.

I game at 3440x1440 where CPU pretty much makes no difference.

I am actually in the process of upgrading from an i7-4770K to an i7-8700K. Yeah, I know it's not much of an upgrade, but I came across a couple of good deals on RAM and a motherboard. With credit card cash back + selling some old hardware (including the i7-4770K), my net cost was $87... so I couldn't pass that up. I'll let you know how my upgrade goes.

I don't recommend upgrading unless you need more cores, this is the only major improvement in recent CPUs over yours. You can get 15-20% single core improvement on an overclocked 8700k, but I don't think it's worth it to most people, unless you play csgo competitively or something like that.

I went to a 8700k. I didn't notice anything different and probably could've save myself a heck of a lot of issues (frustration and money) by staying with my 4770k... *headache*

I only upgraded because I thought I could get more frames out of Overwatch. It wasn't until after doing much more research that I found that the game relies on dual channel memory to make the best use of the system.

I went to a 8700k. I didn't notice anything different and probably could've save myself a heck of a lot of issues (frustration and money) by staying with my 4770k... *headache*

I only upgraded because I thought I could get more frames out of Overwatch. It wasn't until after doing much more research that I found that the game relies on dual channel memory to make the best use of the system.

Huh?

You were running one ram channel on a 4770k? Also as Overwatch is not very graphically intensive a GPU upgrade is usually your best bet.

I switched from Skylake 6700k to Coffelake 8086k and noticed an nice improvement....in video editing, encoding, and photoshop. Some of my games have seen better minimums at HFR resolutions. Day to day I don’t notice much of a difference.

Honestly, I can’t in good conscious tell you to upgrade your CPU if you haven’t upgraded a few sub systems first.

Do you have a SSD? How fresh is your windows install? Are you running a lot of apps simultaneously? How much ram and how fast? What GPU? What do you do primarily with the system?

A fresh install of Windows on modern SSD with a solid 16GB of fast RAM puts a lot of life into Haswell.

Also Meltdown and Spectre aren’t going to be easy or quick fixes as some of their elements are simply fundimental to modern CPU performance.

Huh?

You were running one ram channel on a 4770k? Also as Overwatch is not very graphically intensive a GPU upgrade is usually your best bet.

the only upgrade I could do is do SLI. I wanted to get 240 fps. I went cheap on the ram on my 4770k, so one channel.

Last edited:
Spectre

i'm in no rush-I prob won't be on the market till next summer anyways

How many real world applications are you running that Spectre is going to affect you in a real world way?

I also hate to break it to you but even the latest CPUs aren't immune to Spectre.

Next summer is a long way off. If you were going to upgrade soon I'd say go with the upcoming i9-9900K since you don't upgrade very often.

I am actually in the process of upgrading from an i7-4770K to an i7-8700K. Yeah, I know it's not much of an upgrade, but I came across a couple of good deals on RAM and a motherboard. With credit card cash back + selling some old hardware (including the i7-4770K), my net cost was $87... so I couldn't pass that up. I'll let you know how my upgrade goes.

I completed my upgrade last night. I went from an i7-4770K with 32Gb of DDR3-1600 RAM to an i7-8700K with 32Gb of DDR4 3000 RAM. I kept the MSI GTX 1070 GPU from the old system because I don't really game a whole lot, and the 1070 is adequate for the games I play.

I ran a Handbrake test on the new system last night. I transcoded a 115-minute video to 1080p mp4 using Handbrake 0.10.1.69.62 64-bit (I know there is a newer version, but used this version to compare with the previous system). I used the "high" setting with 2-pass (average 3000 kbit/s).

The frames per second for the 1st and 2nd passes are shown in the graph below. The i7-4770K system averaged 37.6 fps for both passes while the i7-8700K system averaged 79.4 fps for both passes (111% increase in speed over the i7-4770K). Both CPUs are running at stock speeds.

Handbrake01.png

The total time for both passes is shown in the graph below.

Handbrake02.png

So, I'm pretty happy with the upgrade after all. I had trouble finding reviews that showed the relative performance of these two CPUs using the same HQ video clip in Handbrake--I could find comparisons of the i7-7700K with the i7-8700K and the i7-4770K with the i7-7700K, so I could get an idea of their relative performance. But, it's nice to see a direct comparison.

Last edited:
Back