replaced worn headband on my old ATH-M50's

atarione

2[H]4U
Funny how the internet works years ago everyone loved the AudioTechnia ATH-M50's moving on over the years and at many places all you hear.. is M50's suck..etc..blah blah.. regardless I like em' they are good going out and about headphones fold up ok and ear cups rotate..

These are the orig M50's so they had the fixed cable... I dropped them years ago and broke the 3.5mm connector =\ so I decided to make the best of the situation and modded them to have a 3.5mm jack and removable cable... Over the years the headband of these headphones is prone to start flaking.. which is gross and messy and leaves black flakes in your hair.. which is not ideal..

I had pretty much benched these as I have many other options.. (DT770 Pro 80's, DT880'S, MDR-V6's, M50X ..etc) finally decided I wanted to get these out again, contacted audiotechnia who said they couldn't replace the headband as they had been modded but they could sell me the headband assembly (381303270 is the part number $23.65 + $13 shipping) ..

It isn't hard to do exactly but it is fiddly.. took ~20minutes.. new headband installed.. nearly died of annoyance when I thought right ear cup had cut out.. then realized 3.5mm patch cable had come out part way =p.. maybe at some point I'll redo that with mini XLR?? meh.. not today.

short video of part of the replacement:

oh a shot of the headphones completed:

done_2.jpg

oh and one more funny thing.. apparently when they built this they pinched this cable a bit with the screw.. HA???
orig_cable_pinched.jpg

Back