Replaced Mobo - Now Windows Won't Boot

imz

Weaksauce
Hey guys. I was having issues with my PC for a couple of months now. It would just shut down and start on it's own. I took it to a shop and they said it's the mobo causing it. So I replaced it and now my Windows won' boot :(

I made a video using my phone, so I appologize for the quality. At the Windows screen, the loading bar stops, and a blue screen flashes for a split second. Too fast for me to catch anything. Then it goes back to the begining and just goes in this cycle (until obviously I manually shut the PC down).

What can I do? Is this a Windows error/fault or a HDD issue?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DMfy0sIx9U

Your video is listed as a private video. Mark it as a public video.

Is the new mobo the same exact one as your old mobo?

If they replaced it with a different model motherboard, you have to reinstall Windows. Windows drivers are very specific unfortunately.

- JT

Sorry, It's public now.

and no my mobo is different model. As in it's the same socket obviously but my old mobo was Asus and this one is Biostar.

Does that mean I have to reinstall windows? :(

Yes reinstall Windows. Also, while you're at it, google, download, burn the iso and run Memtest+ to rule out any RAM problem. Run Memtest+ for at least 3 hours to see if you have bad RAM. Any error whatsoever means that you have bad RAM. Hopefully you still have lifetime warranty on that RAM.

Yes reinstall Windows. Also, while you're at it, google, download, burn the iso and run Memtest+ to rule out any RAM problem. Run Memtest+ for at least 3 hours to see if you have bad RAM. Any error whatsoever means that you have bad RAM. Hopefully you still have lifetime warranty on that RAM.

Okay thanks I'll be sure to do that later.

Right now my concern is the contents of my HDD. If I have to reformat and install windows again I need to copy my HDD somewhere else. I might buy an external HDD, but if I wanted to copy the contents of my HDD (PC) to my laptop, how would I go about that?

Buy an external hard drive enclosure and hook up your hard drive to it. Make sure that the enclosure has the right connection for your hard drive like SATA or PATA.

Buy an external hard drive enclosure and hook up your hard drive to it. Make sure that the enclosure has the right connection for your hard drive like SATA or PATA.

Yea I thought of that, but is it possible for me to connect it to my laptop and transfer the files I need to it?

That's what's an external drive is for. Most external enclosures have USB cables so that you can transfer your files through USB.

Can't you boot in safe mode? Before windows starts check for any IRQ conflicts, too. Yes, you can still get IRQ conflicts.

Strip the PC to barebones too. Just the video card, and 1 HDD. See if it boots then. If it works, you probably have IRQ conflicts.

Thats what they are saying, if you have a USB connector on your laptop you should be able to get an enclosure you can put your desktop drive in and plug it into the laptop. The drive will just then appear as a D: drive (or whatever) and you should be able to copy off what you want. If you laptop is 7 years old, or not running XP, that might be an issue.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=92&name=External-Enclosures

just make sure that you get one that will a) plug into your laptop b) accomodates your type of HD (sata or IDE)

try this,

put in your windows cd and set your computer to boot from the CD.

tell it you want to do a new install of windows. (dont worry)

It will come back and tell you there already is an existing windows installion and ask if you want to repair it. Tell it yes.

This might get you up and running and will NOT destroy any of your data.

If this works, boot into safe mode and remove all drivers associated with the old motherboard.

Be sure to install the chipset/board drivers for the biostar from the CD or download from their web site.

Gah older post, didnt notice. sorry.

Back