Replaced 460 with 650ti, noise issues

sfsuphysics

[H]F Junkie
So I was looking at some imbedded video, then there was a massive screen artifact, a belch of sound and the computer crashed. Upon reboot I noticed the BIOS screen had vertical lines of artifacts, and as the Win7 screen came up same... fuuuuu. In fact windows wouldn't even boot up and gave me a BSoD. I figure the video card is on the way out.

Now needing my rig, as all my work stuff is on there I was playing back and forth between getting the cheapest POS card I can get or something comparable. Problem is the only stores near me are Best Buy, and Fry's is an hour drive away. Hopped on my laptop and saw a Fry's ad for a PNY 650ti for $130, looked online and saw it was somewhat comparable and there really isn't anything else in that price range either, it'll keep me happy for the relatively low work load on games I currently play (unless GTA5 comes out in the next week or two), while yeah the 460 has more muscle it's not so much more that I'll feel much of a hit.

The problem is this thing has a bit of whine to it. Now it's not SUPER horrible but it's there enough to be annoying. So I'm looking at my 460 and see oh I'll use that HS/F it was only really loud when the card was chugging on all cylinders and this one has a bunch less TDP, so all will go great. Great ready for surgery, then I notice heat sink layout of screws is way different... fine I can get around it... then I notice the 650ti only has a 2 pin connector for the fan, which to me tells me that it's running at full speed all the time. And yeah it's the fan that's the cause of the sound as I can put my finger on it and stop it and noise goes away. Also I notice when I go into hibernation mode on the computer the fan does not stop either.

So long story over... what are my options? Can I squirt a dab of lubricant in the bearings maybe? Is there anyway I can convert that to a fan that's controlled by the motherboard? Remove the fan, toss a 92mm fan over the heatsink since the video card isn't controlling it anyways?

I'm getting to the point of returning it and getting a cheap PoS, that is passively cooled until I can wait for some deal on a video card to pop up and snatch it, hell if I had onboard video on motherboard I'd go that option for the time being, as driving an hour to Fry's is kind of a last chance scenario. Advice please, since I'm on day 3 of the purchase and I believe Fry's has a 14 day window for returns.

Also how do I tell if the fan is controllable before I buy the card? if I knew it wasn't I would not have bought it.

It may be coil whine, in which case I would return it and possibly exchange it for a GTX 750/750 Ti since there really isn't anything you can do about it (caused by manufacturer tolerance, so it's really like participating in the silicon lottery any time you purchase a computer part). They're around the same price as the 650 Ti and offer around 20-25% more performance.

Well I wish they had the 750Ti for around the same price (the 750 is a downgrade) but they're all showing anywhere from $40-80 more for the 750Ti over the 650Ti, I guess I can search online for something though and if I can dodge some sales tax I can win more that way.

However looking at the reference design of the 750Ti via review sites, seems they still have the same 2 pin design for the fan, hope it's not the same issue of the fan whir being what the issue is.

You could always exchange for the same model within the 30-day period to see if you can get one without the noise issue. If the replacement ends up having the same issue you can get a refund and look for something different, possibly a card from a different manufacturer. It could either be a problem with the particuler AIB that produces this card, or you just happened to get a bad one.

Last edited:
Well Fry's is a little far away for me to play the whole "lets see if this is better" game. Although I am noticing the sound is a little better after it's been running awhile... that or I've just gotten used to the annoyance :D

Might have to go with the 750ti anyways, it looks to be a bit better than the 650ti but at half the power, apparently sucker doesn't even need a molex connector?

Why did you buy a GTX 650 Ti? It's barely faster than your 460, although it does use less power.

Me, I'm waiting impatiently for the 20nm parts to come, as the 750 Ti is not fast enough of an upgrade for my overclocked GTX 460 :D

Why did you buy a GTX 650 Ti? It's barely faster than your 460, although it does use less power.

Me, I'm waiting impatiently for the 20nm parts to come, as the 750 Ti is not fast enough of an upgrade for my overclocked GTX 460 :D

Why didn't you read the OP? It's faster than waiting for someone else to read it and summarize it for you, although it does require less effort.

*chuckle*

Yeah, I needed a card now since the 460 went kaput. I wasn't going to get a decent deal on an "upgrade" at any brick and mortar store (Fry's) so it was either get the cheapest thing I can find and plug a DVI plug into, or get something that was comparable in price. I'm still rocking a q9550 so maybe an upgrade is coming soon, but right now it's not necessary.

Well Fry's is a little far away for me to play the whole "lets see if this is better" game. Although I am noticing the sound is a little better after it's been running awhile... that or I've just gotten used to the annoyance :D

Might have to go with the 750ti anyways, it looks to be a bit better than the 650ti but at half the power, apparently sucker doesn't even need a molex connector?
Nope, unless it's a factory overclocked card (highly overclocked, at that), no additional power required ;).

You people these days are so used to quiet running computers... I cringe when I think back to the last system I had and how loud the CPU cooler was on my Core 2 QX6700. I also had two 8800GTX going in the same box. It was actually quite shocking to me the first time I started up my latest Haswell build and how quiet it was. I had to check three times to make sure all the fans were running :eek:.

Yes I want quiet, or at least the same level of quiet, when my 460 which ran at 50% more power only become noticeably noisy when it was cranking at full speed was quieter and even then it wasn't as high pitched a sound. I can hear my system, I can tell it's on no problem, but it's a high pitch sound I don't like, it reminds me back in t he day with those northbridge coolers that were super tiny fans that whined like hell when they were on.

Yes I want quiet, or at least the same level of quiet, when my 460 which ran at 50% more power only become noticeably noisy when it was cranking at full speed was quieter and even then it wasn't as high pitched a sound. I can hear my system, I can tell it's on no problem, but it's a high pitch sound I don't like, it reminds me back in t he day with those northbridge coolers that were super tiny fans that whined like hell when they were on.
Still sounds like coil whine, which is pretty unacceptable this day and age in my opinion. I think audible coil whine is indicative of both poor build quality and cheap parts.

You hear that? I sure as hell can't, damn this card is nice. Returned the PNY 650Ti, they didn't have anything I wanted to buy at Fry's in a similar price range. Galaxy 750Ti GC looked decent in the reviews, and noise department. Price was a little bit more than the 650Ti, but with taxes at Fry's it ended up costing $30 more, for a bit more muscle in the 750Ti and at almost half the power, did I mention I can't hear it for squat?

Only thing I can really complain about was shipping, it was $11 something to ship via FedEx, as I was mulling over the weekend figuring it wouldn't ship until Monday anyways, I finally pulled the trigger Monday morning only to see shipping bumped up to $12 something... the cheap ass in me immediately cringed... but I bought it anyways.

Going a week without my rig was painful, I don't know how people use a laptop for their main computing needs, looking at the web sure, but anything beyond that? Kept whacking the touch pad causing the mouse to jump around and click elsewhere. Now witness the power of this fully operational battle station!!! Actually I have no idea what I want to do on it. I'm just happy to be typing on a regular sized keyboard again.

Back