replace stamped grille with wire guard ??

Greetings -

Considering removing an 80mm stamped grille (bottom right):

grill.jpg

and replacing it with a wire guard:

wireGuard.jpg

Anyone actually done this who can speak to whether they thought it was worthwhile,
in terms of either lower noise, or better temps / airflow?

Thanks,

- Richard

Last edited:
Yes it helps, i believe there is an article on the SPCR site.[Silent PC Review]
The good news is it reduces noise caused by air being forced through the holes, the bad news is it depends on the fan and case whether there is a noticable difference.

i just got done removing two of those buggers. don't know the before and after of it but hot dog it felt good to get done ^o^

Those type of grills aren't actually that restrictive. If that is all your doing I wouldn't expect shocking or even measurable results.

You could use a hole punch for that grill, hole saw or dremal. For the hole saw route it would be best to reinforce the center before drilling the pilot hole.

The cheapest route would be to use some metal snips. then to file down the rough edge. If lazy, put some door trim over it and call it a day.

Wire grills also have an effect: ~20%. This was checked with an anemometer on several different fans of 80, 92 and 120mm size, at full and lower speeds. The airflow reduction went as high as 24% but it was never below 19%.

At 12V, the reduction in airflow with most fans will be relatively harmless, though there is an increase in turbulence noise (audible to me). But at the low airflow rates SPCR members run fans, I think the airflow reduction is significant.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15810

Back