Replace sli 680 4gb with 980ti?

noname4498

n00b
Finally I might want to get rid of both my 680 4gb, I really don't want the fun of sli if I can avoid it, and single card to replace both would be great.
I game at 1440p 60hz with settings mostly maxed, but the 680's are slowing at new games (really glad I got that 4 gb fb) That is all I want for now maxed at 1440@60, I do not care about 4k atm, In the future I will be buying a g-sync lcd and one or two gtx 1000? or whatever they will call them with my 2016 rig, or just another 980ti.

Would this be a good move, or should I keep the 680's for now, I would rather sell them sooner than later, however I do not know what amd is planning to release this year.

Last edited:
It will be slower but you have more vram and less sli issues. I'm not sure after selling if you would come out with much more money. You may break close to even. Its really up to you. You should actually wait unless you can sell it for decent price now. But I figure there is a flock of 980 users who are desperate to sell the card for the 980 ti right now. But nvidia will drop the price on the 980 so if it happens officially the value may also drop a lot more.

It will be slower but you have more vram and less sli issues. I'm not sure after selling if you would come out with much more money. You may break close to even. Its really up to you. You should actually wait unless you can sell it for decent price now. But I figure there is a flock of 980 users who are desperate to sell the card for the 980 ti right now. But nvidia will drop the price on the 980 so if it happens officially the value may also drop a lot more.
Um no it should certainly not be slower. A 980 Ti is already a little over twice as fast as the 680 so no chance that 680 SLI would match the 980 ti. And SLI scaling can be all over the place so a 980 Ti should end up at least 25% faster overall if comparing stock to stock and even faster than that when ocing since the 980 Ti has more ocing headroom. Plus no more SLI issues like you mentioned.

Yeah... a lot of the benchmarks place the 980Ti very close to the speed of SLi 970's, and just about neck-and-neck with the Titan X. Should easily be faster than SLi 680's.

According to TPU the Titan X is anywhere from 40-50% faster than 690. 690 is basically 680 SLI slightly downclocked, and 980 Ti is a slightly slower Titan X, so the 980 Ti should be at least 35% faster than 680 SLI at every resolution, stock for stock.

Um no it should certainly not be slower. A 980 Ti is already a little over twice as fast as the 680 so no chance that 680 SLI would match the 980 ti. And SLI scaling can be all over the place so a 980 Ti should end up at least 25% faster overall if comparing stock to stock and even faster than that when ocing since the 980 Ti has more ocing headroom. Plus no more SLI issues like you mentioned.

oh i read it as 980 not 680

I would wait for AMD's new proposal before upgrading as there is a slight chance that nvidia reviews its pricing.
Also, non-reference cards will start to show up in a few weeks.

I did exactly what you are thinking of doing. I went from sli Asus directcu 680 to reference Gigabyte 980 ti. I am also on a 1440p screen. I did a lot of fiddling with it last night. So far I can see about a 30-40% fps increase in most games after overclocking to 1450mhz core clock. I am having no trouble hitting 60fps in any games I tried (Witcher 3, GTA V, Shadows of Mordor).

Well its good to know that only one 980Ti can replace my 4 gig Evga 680's (SLI) setup.

I just bought some used water blocks and am OC'ing them but I want to
eventually buy some sort of VR head gear and my 680's wont cut it.
They say at least 970, and Ive always bought the 580 and 680 so the 980Ti sounds
ok for me to run my three screens at 5670 x 1080. One 680 would not enable me
to run the three screens that well, but adding the second card made a vast improvement.

7-14-2015%2012-40-44%20AM_zpsgm7wiupv.jpg

A good 980 Ti is much quicker, totally worth it if your feeling the itch.

Same boat with 670's. Thinking a 980ti would be a nice upgrade. My wallet doesn't like the sound of it's potential downgrade however.

Same boat with 670's. Thinking a 980ti would be a nice upgrade. My wallet doesn't like the sound of it's potential downgrade however.

Even in a world of perfect scaling and zero stutter the 980 Ti is still about 40% faster, and that world isn't the reality of SLI 95% of the time.

I just replaced my GTX 690 with the MSI GTX 980 ti Gaming. I usually focus on game smoothness rather than framerates and benchmarks so I can't show you any numbers. What I can tell you is that I've been able to punch all the settings in Witcher 3 to ultra INCLUDING having Hairworks turned on. The game is as smooth as silk. I was not able to do anything like this with the 690 which is just the GTX 680 in sli on one card.

Keep in mind too that the GTX 690...and two GTX 680's, technically, isn't really 4 gigs of video ram. It's really 2 gigs on each card which mirror each other. The 980 ti is 6 gigs of memory and it made for a BIG difference for my gaming. Well worth the money. My processor is a 930 and I game at 2560x1440.

Good luck!

Keep in mind too that the GTX 690...and two GTX 680's, technically, isn't really 4 gigs of video ram. It's really 2 gigs on each card which mirror each other. The 980 ti is 6 gigs of memory and it made for a BIG difference for my gaming. Well worth the money. My processor is a 930 and I game at 2560x1440.

Good luck!

The 680 was available with 4GB VRAM and more readily available than the allusive 780 6GB. Regardless, a single 980ti 6GB will outperform, draw a lot less power, and spit out a fraction of the heat than SLI 680 (2 or 4 GB per).

Finally I might want to get rid of both my 680 4gb, I really don't want the fun of sli if I can avoid it, and single card to replace both would be great.
I game at 1440p 60hz with settings mostly maxed, but the 680's are slowing at new games (really glad I got that 4 gb fb) That is all I want for now maxed at 1440@60, I do not care about 4k atm, In the future I will be buying a g-sync lcd and one or two gtx 1000? or whatever they will call them with my 2016 rig, or just another 980ti.

Would this be a good move, or should I keep the 680's for now, I would rather sell them sooner than later, however I do not know what amd is planning to release this year.

Granted my sig lists 3x titan X, however in playing around with my rig when I was still building everything, at one point I had my one rog swift plugged into one card (SLI disabled, and my other two GPU's powered down). Rog swifts are 1440p @ 144Hz for reference. I had 0 issues playing on one card with just about any game for that one monitor. You'll easily hit 60 fps no problem. If all you're looking to do is 1440p @ 60Hz until the next graphics card, the 980Ti will work just fine for you.

This is the same exact thing I am doing...I finally have a reason to upgrade from my GTX 680 SLI setup. Should be worth it for heat reasons alone.

This is the same exact thing I am doing...I finally have a reason to upgrade from my GTX 680 SLI setup. Should be worth it for heat reasons alone.
680 SLI will never fully push both cards so even oced 680 cards in SLI would probably only pull about 350-375 watts max in games. An oced non reference 980 Ti can pull 300 watts or so. I really doubt the 50-75 watt savings is going to make much of a difference in heat...

I join my voice to those who vlsim that a 980 Ti is superior in every aspect (performance, stability, heat and noise) to 680 SLI.

That being said, the performance increase, while noticeable, is not dramatic. This suggests that it may make sense to wait for Pascal depending on your budget and priorities.

But I would do it!

Back