Replace Inverter or CCFL Backlight???? COMPAQ PRESARIO

choppedliver

Limp Gawd
I've got this older compaq, it still runs great.

The screen has been yellowish in the bottom center of the screen for a while. Suddenly, it's just completely dark.

Should I start with the inverter or replace the ccfl?

I'd recommend the CCFL, but doing the inverter is far easier than replacing the CCFL. I've replaced 3 or 4 CCFL's and 2-3 inverters. It's very difficult to do the CCFL, but it's more likely to be the cause of your problems based on your description. Replacing the inverter is usually easy.

Look up the price and make a choice; they're probably both cheap though. I just replaced both the backlight and the inverter in my laptop because the screen was getting dim. The backlight was $20, the inverter was $15. Replacing the inverter took 10 minutes, the backlight took 3 hours.

Thanks Legoman, here is a picture of the screen if it helps. This is before it went completely dark.

choppedliver-albums-tinkering-picture23801-compaq.jpg

Definitely backlight. Research replacing a backlight first, it's not for the faint of heart. (Or at least it wasn't on my T61p...)

i have a screen from hp dv2000 series laptop, you think there's any chance the compaq uses the same stuff? What model is it?

You realize that to fix this, you're gonna need to take apart the actual LCD panel in there? Not just the bezel around the LCD, but the LCD itself! I hope you have steady hands...

What model Presario is this?

Ive had my dell in every last piece that can be taken apart... I'm cool with trying. Worst thing that happens is I screw it up. Well, it doesn't work anyway, right now. Thanks for all your help folks

If you're comfortable inside of a laptop and have steady hands and some patience, you should be able to replace a CCFL bulb in a couple hours. I replaced the inverter and bulb in my old Acer. It wasn't exactly the easiest thing in the world, but it turned out fine. Make sure you remember exactly the order of everything.

Back