Repasting the ASUS X570 E PCH Fan

mda

2[H]4U
Hi all,

Has anyone repasted the PCH on their X570 Strix E/F boards?

Based on a teardown I saw somewhere else, maybe replacing the stock thermal pad with another pad instead of paste is going to be better? It seems the PCH doesn't make full contact with the heatsink :/

imgur link

My chipset (HWiNFO stats) is currently running between 68-70C on idle.

The fan isn't noisy yet but this is a bit too hot for me...? And since this is the [H] I'm thinking of doing some DIY without destroying it myself... xD

There's airflow in my case - 3x NF A14s intake but the 1070TI is blocking the PCH fan.

Thanks!

It looks like you're going to need a thermal pad instead of paste. Too much of a gap. You'll have to figure out how thick of a pad you need.

Yeah, based on some ITX forums, the Crosshair Impact and the Strix-I take 1.5mm pads... I'm guessing these will work.

My current idle with a few browser tabs and a youtube channel open is now at 70C. Some guys I've read have pasted their GB boards for a 10-15C reduction in temps.

I'm guessing that if the X570 SOC is based on the IO die in the CPU and those things can get very hot, then maybe 70C isn't so bad.

Would you have any suggestions on what thermal pads are decent?

Last edited:
Yeah, based on some ITX forums, the Crosshair Impact and the Strix-I take 1.5mm pads... I'm guessing these will work.

My current idle with a few browser tabs and a youtube channel open is now at 70C. Some guys I've read have pasted their GB boards for a 10-15C reduction in temps.

I'm guessing that if the X570 SOC is based on the IO die in the CPU and those things can get very hot, then maybe 70C isn't so bad.

Would you have any suggestions on what thermal pads are decent?

I used both the gelid and thermalright 1.5mm pads on my 3090. They are both 12+ W/mK. The cheap ones you buy on eBay are usually 6. I've seen up to 17 fujipoly pads but they are expensive.

I would probably get the gelid ones because they are cheaper and usually available. I think Amazon had them for $9.99.

I used both the gelid and thermalright 1.5mm pads on my 3090. They are both 12+ W/mK. The cheap ones you buy on eBay are usually 6. I've seen up to 17 fujipoly pads but they are expensive.

I would probably get the gelid ones because they are cheaper and usually available. I think Amazon had them for $9.99.
I don't trust those ratings really. Gamersnexus did a video on a bunch of pad types that's worth watching.

Also OP by the looks of that pic it is definitely making good contact with the heatsink/chip.

My chipset stays hot AF too, especially now that I've jammed a second GPU in there for mining.

17 fujipoly pads

https://www.amazon.com/Innovation-Cooling-Graphite-Thermal-Pad/dp/B0846CWWHH?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Graphite pads get up to the below.

• TOP TIER THERMAL PERFORMANCE – The IC graphite pad features a thermal conductivity of 35W/m-k.
That said you aren't going to have much real luck here. It's usually not just the pads but that the fan + heatsink is anemic. Back in the day of hot chipsets with the same issue you'd take it off and slap something like this on it https://bjorn3d.com/2006/06/swiftech-mcx159-cu/

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
https://www.amazon.com/Innovation-Cooling-Graphite-Thermal-Pad/dp/B0846CWWHH?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Graphite pads get up to the below.

• TOP TIER THERMAL PERFORMANCE – The IC graphite pad features a thermal conductivity of 35W/m-k.
That said you aren't going to have much real luck here. It's usually not just the pads but that the fan + heatsink is anemic. Back in the day of hot chipsets with the same issue you'd take it off and slap something like this on it https://bjorn3d.com/2006/06/swiftech-mcx159-cu/

You also need to account for the thickness. IIRC those graphite pads are very thin. Much thinner than the 1.5 mm pads.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Fujipoly pads are kind of a pain. The ones I used feel like a semi dry clay like material.

Fujipoly pads are kind of a pain. The ones I used feel like a semi dry clay like material.

I don't know as I never used them, but that's what the general consensus was when I was reading about them. The thermalright and gelid pads are pretty easy to work with in my experience. I just measured and used an x-acto knife to cut them and they worked fine.

On a reddit thread I saw someone used a Fujipoly on the CH8 Impact and the Strix.

According to the thread, for those seeing 80C temps, the Fujipoly 1.5 pads should see a 15-20C drop best case scenario.

Sounds good to me...

I redid the thermal pad on my x570 taichi, it was barely making contact with the "heatsink" before so I used nonconductive thermal paste and a copper shim (which seemed more substantial than the entire heatsink over it.) According to something I saw on reddit.
I haven't seen worrisome temps since and I've only heard the fan spin up on extremely rare occasions.

Which is good, because getting to that damn fan again would require a complete deconstruction and rebuild of my entire damn computer.

^ So, layer - wise, this is your setup?:

Heatsink / Fan
Thermal Paste
Copper shim
Thermal Paste
Chipset

Which copper shim did you use? Thanks!

^ So, layer - wise, this is your setup?:

Heatsink / Fan
Thermal Paste
Copper shim
Thermal Paste
Chipset

Which copper shim did you use? Thanks!
My heatsink layout is a bit different from yours and a bit more convoluted.
P1010575.jpg
So, mine is.

Board cover/heatsink (that goes over all the m.2 slots)
Thermal Pad(a really thick one, 1.5 or 2mm - I honestly doubt this does anything at all either way.)
Tiny little thin "heatsink"
Thermal paste
copper shim (20mm*20mm*1mm i think?)
thermal paste
Chipset.
The fan is offset from the chipset on my board.

I found the post that I based my mod on, but I did things a little differently. I also made sure not to tighten down the copper shim too much as to possibly crush the chipset/make contact with the nearby board parts, but there was a surprising amount of space that the default thermal pad was taking up.

I bought this variety pack of copper shims and I don't know the exact one that I used on the chipset, whatever one fit best. I've used them for m.2 cooling and stuff as well.
https://smile.amazon.com/Easycargo-...d1156&pd_rd_wg=5dJ0D&pd_rd_i=B08LPT9PYX&psc=1

Last edited:
Do you have to remove the board from the case to replace the thermal pad on the chipset? Or does the fan come off with just the screws (do I need rear board access?) I'm thinking of doing the same thing (Strix x570-e)

In my situation the only way to to remove all the lower heatsink stuff on the board required access to screws that were on the back of the board. So complete removal was necessary.

Back