Repairing Help and Support Center

nerdawg4

Limp Gawd
I have a computer that is running Windows XP SP3 and I cannot get it to launch the Help and Support center (in the start menu). Further, the help functions in Microsoft Office 2003 do not work properly (I can search for help articles, but when I click one the window that normally comes up with the help article is empty), and no help functionality is available in AutoCadLT. I assume that all help functionality that is supported by the Windows Help system is not working.

I tried launching the support center from C:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\helpctr.exe, but it still would not launch.

Help center does not launch in safe mode either.

I followed the procedure here: http://www.t3chnophilia.com/2008/07/repair-help-and-support.html with no luck.

Has anyone here seen an issue like this before? Any ideas?

Thanks so much for any help,
nerdawg4

Well I know you said you decided to reformat and reinstall.

But I was wondering if your problem may have come about due to the exploit in XP help and support center.

If I were you I would keep a close eye on the new install just in case. I know if it were my system I wouldn’t be too comfortable with the timing of the problem and the help and support exploit going public recently.

Did you download the patch for the XP exploit? Because the exploit targets exactly what you are trying to open (the help & support center). Heres a link to an article about the exploit.

Back