Repairing a bent LGA pin

This is definitely the cool thread for the day.
But how the hell are you supposed to be rich enough to afford an Olympus Stereo Microscope?
How can you even find one? Isn't on Amazon or anything...

I use a digital microscope for light bent pins and my olympus stereo microscope for the trainwreck cases. Those tools along with surgical tweezers make it easy but the majority can be done with a simple magnifier and mechanical pencil. A little bit of heat from a hot air gun can also make the pins a bit easier to reshape.

Where can I find one of those sexy things?

Here's a hires photo I took of the socket. I could not find one bent pin. Shame on you Asus!!!

IMG_1008.jpg

Reactions: Nenu
like this
Couple tips for OP (I've done many pin repairs) Remove the socket clamp completely to give you more room to maneuver. I usually use jeweler's glasses and tweezers, this particular repair probably would have taken less than 5mins. I'm not sure that pin is making proper contact but if it is sorry to hear it did not fix your problem.

If anyone has a board that needs repairs don't hesitate to PM me.
Hey would you be willing to fix this? I can't seem to be able to dm you. It's so infuriating that the pins are now on boards instead of the cpus.

Attachments

• 20231218_185139.jpg
    20231218_185139.jpg
    570.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hey would you be willing to fix this? I can't seem to be able to dm you. It's so infuriating that the pins are now on boards instead of the cpus.
Unfortunately I can only say maybe. Some are definitely fixable but looks like a few are bent backwards (specifically the tips) and sometimes that causes metal fatigue and bending them back they just break really easy. But I'd be happy to try if you want me to.

I think you can't DM because there's a post count requirement.

I prefer amd cpus with pins personally. If I ever bent them, I was able to fix it with a credit card. And you usually don't bend amd pins unless you drop the cpu from a few feet, while intel cpu installation is considered a far more delicate process. I can't fathom how the pin in the video got bent in the first place.
AM4 is too fine for anything but an X-acto knife. Speaking from experience... AM3 and earlier? Sure.

FWIW I've had Intel CPU's with multiple bent pins still work, but never the case with an AMD board.

agreed. My post was from 5 years ago and I hadn't had a slew of AM4 cpus yet. :D By now I've mastered taking heatsinks off without ripping CPUs out though. Mostly.
I am only noticing the necro reply now... Hah.

Back