Repair Shops Stoked: Samsung Galaxy S8 Most Fragile Phone Ever Made

I got the 2017 Galaxy A5. Fast, high resolution, good enough for everything 99.99% will ever use a phone for.

No idea why people still buy flagship devices.

Actually I always buy flagship models, of the previous year or even two. A two year old flag ship is usually much higher in specs that a brand new midranger. OK, technically it is no longer a flag ship, but you get the point.

I actually do not see the need for midrange phones in this scenaraio.

Actually I always buy flagship models, of the previous year or even two. A two year old flag ship is usually much higher in specs that a brand new midranger. OK, technically it is no longer a flag ship, but you get the point.

You can't see the needfor a $250 phone vs a $700 phone?

I guess the important question is, what do you do on your phone that requires it to be the latest model?

I got the 2017 Galaxy A5. Fast, high resolution, good enough for everything 99.99% will ever use a phone for.

No idea why people still buy flagship devices.

you still buy smart phones?! :D

2ch966h.jpg

Curved edge glass? My hand or case will cover it, so it's a gimmick.

I want outstanding reception: give me a LOT of antenna. Yeah, an extendable antenna is fine.

I want cheap, long-lasting, easily replaceable batteries. A pair/quad of AA or AAA would work.

That would give you a phone about the same size of the current crop, just a bit thicker (batteries cause it). Use the extra space for cushioning the innards or making it waterproof.

Right now it seems that style is overmatching function: so slim that there is no battery life (or ability to replace a worn out battery); so smooth, you drop it; so small that the antenna reception is horrible.

You can't see the needfor a $250 phone vs a $700 phone?

I guess the important question is, what do you do on your phone that requires it to be the latest model?
You should probably read his post. He's not buying the flagship while it's still a flagship. He's buying it when the model after it gets announced.

I do the same thing, and he's quite correct - My Samsung S2 lasted me a really long time and I bought it for a steal, about a month after the S3 became available.

My Z3, I purchased just after it had also been replaced.

In both cases I could have spent the same money on a "midrange" phone from Samsung or Sony that didn't do half of what the outgoing flagship did. It's a great economy.

I want outstanding reception: give me a LOT of antenna. Yeah, an extendable antenna is fine.

I want cheap, long-lasting, easily replaceable batteries. A pair/quad of AA or AAA would work.

That would give you a phone about the same size of the current crop, just a bit thicker (batteries cause it). Use the extra space for cushioning the innards or making it waterproof.

Right now it seems that style is overmatching function: so slim that there is no battery life (or ability to replace a worn out battery); so smooth, you drop it; so small that the antenna reception is horrible.
Eh.

I like replaceable batteries, but you're really pushing it with the AA/AAA thing. I don't mind a proprietary battery as long as I can buy another when I need to.

You should probably read his post. He's not buying the flagship while it's still a flagship. He's buying it when the model after it gets announced.

I do the same thing, and he's quite correct - My Samsung S2 lasted me a really long time and I bought it for a steal, about a month after the S3 became available.

My Z3, I purchased just after it had also been replaced.

In both cases I could have spent the same money on a "midrange" phone from Samsung or Sony that didn't do half of what the outgoing flagship did. It's a great economy.

Fair enough. Thay might work, but it isn't entirely accurate either. The s7 is still considerably more expensive then the a5 and the a5 is more powerful than the s6.

My point was that at this point, you don't need to buy a flagship phone because very little differentiates the high end from the mid tier.

Okay, I -am- in the market for a new phone. My Galaxy S4 (or is it an S3? I don't know...) is getting a bit sluggish and the battery (2nd or 3rd) is losing life. I decided, after reading this thread, to do some quick looking. I checked the S7, the S8, and the Google Pixel. I read a bunch of comparisons. I read tables of specs. I read up on IP68. I read about which has USB-C and which is using micro-USB. I read about sRGB cameras. I read about 4k filming. I read about multi-screen (Really? Split screens on something like that? WTF.). I read about snapdragon. I read about expandable memory...or the lack thereof. I read about Android updates. I read about bloatware and UI issues. I read about battery capacity and how that doesn't really tell you about battery life. I read about fast-charging. I read about 3.5mm audio jacks. I read about AMOLED and pixel density.

One thing I didn't read about? How they work as phones.

The market seems to be overly focused on the "smart" and has lost sight of the "phone".

Fair enough. Thay might work, but it isn't entirely accurate either. The s7 is still considerably more expensive then the a5 and the a5 is more powerful than the s6.

My point was that at this point, you don't need to buy a flagship phone because very little differentiates the high end from the mid tier.

The A5 is not a bad phone. For me though the screen is too small and I'll miss the stylus. Usually the older models cost quite a bit less. As I did mention, the models I usually buy, can even be 2 years old, just as it is leaving the market. I bought the last of the Note 4's, just as the Note 7 came unto the horizon, then it is really cheap, cheaper than the J series phones.

Okay, I -am- in the market for a new phone. My Galaxy S4 (or is it an S3? I don't know...) is getting a bit sluggish and the battery (2nd or 3rd) is losing life. I decided, after reading this thread, to do some quick looking. I checked the S7, the S8, and the Google Pixel. I read a bunch of comparisons. I read tables of specs. I read up on IP68. I read about which has USB-C and which is using micro-USB. I read about sRGB cameras. I read about 4k filming. I read about multi-screen (Really? Split screens on something like that? WTF.). I read about snapdragon. I read about expandable memory...or the lack thereof. I read about Android updates. I read about bloatware and UI issues. I read about battery capacity and how that doesn't really tell you about battery life. I read about fast-charging. I read about 3.5mm audio jacks. I read about AMOLED and pixel density.

The market seems to be overly focused on the "smart" and has lost sight of the "phone".

So much info...

It looks like you might want a Nokia 3310. In your whole list, the only information you give on what you need, is a phone, so the 3310 will be fine. If you do want a smart phone, then well, tell us.

Wut AA or AAA batteries? That is not a cheap long lasting solution. Good batteries are some what pricey and doubt they will last that long.

Before I bought this phone, I viewed the curved screen as a downside. Seemed like a stupid gimmick.

Now that I've had it for a couple weeks, I love it. The display really just sort of melts away. It looks stunning. Bezels are an eyesore, so the trend of removing them (and not covering the front of the phone in billboards) is a positive one, imo.

I've never broken a phone in my life. Hopefully that trend will continue.

So much info...

It looks like you might want a Nokia 3310. In your whole list, the only information you give on what you need, is a phone, so the 3310 will be fine. If you do want a smart phone, then well, tell us.

I'm pretty sure you missed his whole point of the post.

Do you want them to talk about the same low audio sampling rate they have always used for voice? What else is there to talk about with such a basic level of operation.

We don't really talk about PC's and how many math calculations per second they can do either.

Huh? The A5 2017 is not more powerful than the S6. It's slower. It can be fairly close in some benchmarks, but it still loses all of them. The S6 has a better rear camera, better video recording options, better screen, better graphics, and has wireless charging. A5 advantages? Better battery life, better front facing camera, and IP 68 rating.

Amazon Prices
A5 (2017) - $385
S6 - $319
S7 - $438
A5 (2016) - $289

I would much rather spend less money for the S6, as it's overall better than the A5 (2017) and way better than the A5 (2016) model. The A5 (2016) isn't even half as good as the S6.

I'd be concerned about it snapping in my pocket too.

So they've gone from not giving enough space for the battery to not enough space for the screen. lol.

I'm glad hardocp doesn't review smartphones, its user base is a bit behind the curve.

Didn't we see a durability test of this phone with a guy taking a hammer to it multiple times before it finally cracked the screen?

This is what I do as well. I don't need or want to pay for the latest and greatest, so I buy last year's flagships and use them for a few years. I just upgraded from an M7, bought used, to a used 10 recently.

This whole "less bezel" trend looks like the "thinner phone" trend to me...All these manufactures pushing to reduce bezels and make the phones thinner at the expense of battery life, durability, usability, etc, etc.

Seems like the "infinity screen" and "super thin" designs are always just covered up by a tough Otterbox-style case right away anyway, so why even bother?

Get a G6

Huh? The A5 2017 is not more powerful than the S6. It's slower. It can be fairly close in some benchmarks, but it still loses all of them. The S6 has a better rear camera, better video recording options, better screen, better graphics, and has wireless charging. A5 advantages? Better battery life, better front facing camera, and IP 68 rating.

Amazon Prices
A5 (2017) - $385
S6 - $319
S7 - $438
A5 (2016) - $289

I would much rather spend less money for the S6, as it's overall better than the A5 (2017) and way better than the A5 (2016) model. The A5 (2016) isn't even half as good as the S6.

AWS-3 support was what sold me on it, since that's the only LTE my cell provider has. But I'll concede the argument.

This is what I do as well. I don't need or want to pay for the latest and greatest, so I buy last year's flagships and use them for a few years. I just upgraded from an M7, bought used, to a used 10 recently.

Definitely stick with older flagships. These mid-range suck. Xperia Z2 flagship to a Xperia X mid-range. The X is slower, yet is 2 years newer. I'm already looking at replacing it.

Sorry, maybe I missed it but I haven't seen any pcs or even parts of them have their folding benchmarks on the box or in advertisements.

When you say "we", i take that as the audience you're speaking to, as in [H], not the side of a box.

When you say "we", i take that as the audience you're speaking to, as in [H], not the side of a box.

Sorry for confusing you. No i did not mean the [H] community. I meant consumers and marketing. We are not even within the 1% here.

I'm glad hardocp doesn't review smartphones, its user base is a bit behind the curve.

I've been staunchly anti-Samsung in the Android sphere for some time after having supported a fleet of S2-S6 devices as a telecom analyst.

For the first time ever I purchased one for my personal use, the S8. It's a fantastic device, the new UI is light years ahead of the old TouchWiz UI, the performance is best-in-class, the features are useable (BT 5.0 is awesome), the screen is jaw-dropping, the quality and construction are the best I've ever seen; Yes, better than Apple.

As the video that gxp500 posted demonstrates, the durability is not a concern for me. Gorilla Glass 5 on the front and 3 on the back, and the slab panels on both sides are structural. The quality is outstanding.

In terms of drop testing and such, I spent $15 on a Spigen soft case that's MIL-STD 810G-516.6 certified for over 26 drops at 48" and adds barely any bulk to the phone. (LInk: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06XP87DGC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I'm really surprised by all the vitriol on here. I've been anti-Samsung for years and years, but this device is fantastic and I'm very happy to see something that changed my mind about the brand's phone efforts. It's addressed every major concern I've had dealing with literally thousands of previous Galaxy handsets.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Because if it had a thick bezel and was thick and THEN you put a case on it, it would be even thicker... right?

8mm thick phone + 3mm thick case = 11mm thick.
12mm thick phone + 3mm thick case = 15mm thick.

A penny is about a mm thick, and so it all adds up and can become bulky.

Now you might ask, why bother making the back pretty if you are going to use a case? Because they might use a case like mine that is clear:
https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Hybri...494382579&sr=8-1&keywords=galaxy+s8+plus+case

Why not build the phone to have case-like protection included? If its NOT integrated, consumers have choice over phone case designs and bulkiness/protection level, and as a case is scratched up and damaged from use (or the consumer just gets tired of it), they can change it for around $10-15, which they can't if its built in.

It's a question of durability, not thickness. If you make the phone TOUGH, you can get away with a nice minimal case, like a simple bumper case. That way you can toss the case when it gets scratched/scuffed and still have a near-pristine device. Or you COULD go with no case if you wanted to, it'd be your choice.

If you make the device an ultra-thin piece of glass with curved edges, on the other hand, you first sacrifice battery life just due to size. Then you really have to have a thick, tough case, since the phone can't survive much impact on it's own.

I refuse to use a modern phone without a proper flip case. Usually the only ones available are leather to boot, so my Z3 tripled in thickness.

On the other hand, I never needed or wanted a case when I owned an HTC Legend (The original one that replaced the Hero), because it was designed in a very robust way and didn't really need a case. A screen protector would have been more than sufficient.

Give me a Z3 that has the same body design as the legend, and I would be happy to ditch the case. The Z3 though? Not a chance.

I stick with the Chinese "flagships". No difference, performance wise, but cameras aren't as good. Look decent to boot. I picked up an Axon 7 for $325, put a de-bloated stock ROM in there, and it has certainly been great. Had an OPO before that for 2 years. Dropped it tons of times and it never gave out on me. A few small cracks on the bezel, and that's about it. Best performing phone I've ever used.

The Axon seems a bit more fragile, but considering the investment, it won't be as hard a hit if things go south (literally).

This whole "less bezel" trend looks like the "thinner phone" trend to me...All these manufactures pushing to reduce bezels and make the phones thinner at the expense of battery life, durability, usability, etc, etc.

Seems like the "infinity screen" and "super thin" designs are always just covered up by a tough Otterbox-style case right away anyway, so why even bother?

Been thinking the same for years. This is probably because they cannot come up with anything else that is actually useful or is a real feature (to make people upgrade every 6-12mo).

Before I bought this phone, I viewed the curved screen as a downside. Seemed like a stupid gimmick.

Now that I've had it for a couple weeks, I love it. The display really just sort of melts away. It looks stunning. Bezels are an eyesore, so the trend of removing them (and not covering the front of the phone in billboards) is a positive one, imo.

I've never broken a phone in my life. Hopefully that trend will continue.

Are you using a case, or using it without one? What kind of battery life do you get? I like the idea of less bezel area too.

And you determined this based on some random comments that a few users made? Better not look at the comments people make about the stuff that actually is reviewed, your head might explode.

Not that I disregard this warning concerning the S8, but as I already pointed out, Megalith has made posts that are not to be trusted:

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/0...nes_to_get_iphone_features_new_qualcomm_chips

So why must we trust what he is posting? Megalith, please help me out. I have asked you to clear your name with the mentioned post, yet you decided not to react. Why is that? Is there then truth to what I said?

Um.. you realize that the title there about iPhone features is the actual title of the article he linked, right? He didn't come up with that title himself.

Did you.. did you actually click the link at all?

LOL everyone cried about how outdated it the iphone 7 looks now yet its one of the most durable phones out there. Apple will go edgeless next gen to please the haters then they will bitch about how fragile it is.

Consumers are dicks in general lol, would hate to design products for a living.

But still, many companies do what they think is best regardless what customers cr
hahahaha...like my S8+...otter box defender works fine ...no complaints....awww sorry that it doesn't suck

I wish you luck.

But after breaking mine the way I did, I am not at all confident that any case is going to do a decent job of protecting the S8.

And what I don't like about the Otter Boxes myself is that the backs are too slick. Set the phone on a angeled surface and don't be surprised if it takes off on a downhill slide of fate.

Phones should emphasize clarity of communication over the greatest range away from a cell tower. That's the reason why they have the "phone" in their name. If I stick in against my ear, can I easily and clearly understand what is being said to me? Far too frequently that is not the case. As well, how much of my cheek grease gets on that slick AMOLED 4k curved glass? And that's only because I have to press it as close to my face as possible so that the microphone will pick up my voice. Again, that's the "phone" part of the whole "smart phone" device.

If it can't do the "phone" part, I don't care how "snappy" of a snapdragon is encased inside the bezel-less piece of sculpture.

(And no, AA or AAA aren't real players. ;) But, replaceable batteries are.)

Are you using a case, or using it without one? What kind of battery life do you get? I like the idea of less bezel area too.

This is the case I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XS66SFG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's very thin, which I like. Downside is it isn't raised higher than the screen, so it really doesn't help if I drop it face down. I may try another case. The bigger concern to me is that I haven't come across a glass screen protector that works on the curved screen. I've never not had a phone with one on there, and it makes me nervous running it naked.

Battery life has been good for me. The only time I have to worry about charging it before I go to sleep is if I've been playing with the GearVR (which is fun as hell).

This is the case I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XS66SFG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's very thin, which I like. Downside is it isn't raised higher than the screen, so it really doesn't help if I drop it face down. I may try another case. The bigger concern to me is that I haven't come across a glass screen protector that works on the curved screen. I've never not had a phone with one on there, and it makes me nervous running it naked.

Battery life has been good for me. The only time I have to worry about charging it before I go to sleep is if I've been playing with the GearVR (which is fun as hell).

Could my wife use that GearVR to play her balloon popping candy crush games? Mother's Day is here.

Could my wife use that GearVR to play her balloon popping candy crush games? Mother's Day is here.

No, there is an Oculus Store and you can only use apps on their app store. You cannot view standard apps in VR.

Back