Renewing 2-year w/ verizon... get phone now or hold off?

Palliser

Limp Gawd
Hey all... I'll keep this post fairly simple (and probably a tad bit trite) but, next weekend I'll have the option to upgrade my phone with Verizon's "new every two". I like the Droid and my wife likes the Eris, but with the talk of an iPhone coming around at some point to Verizon and with who knows whatever Msft will release on Monday, should I wait longer to see what comes out in the next Month? Or just go ahead and grab those two phones which I'm sure I"ll be happy with using?

Just looking for some opinions.

Thanks, Pal

I've been in this position the last month and I've opted to just wait. I mean I like the droid but I just want to get a better idea of what's coming out later before I make a decision.

The only phone that might be worth waiting right now is the Nexus One. I honestly don't think the iPhone is coming, but if it is, its not anytime soon or worth waiting for IMO. I was considering doing the same a couple months ago in the same situation, but the Droid was too tempting for me after reading all the reviews, comparisons and forums about it.

So far I'm really glad I bit on it and couldn't imagine a phone being better than this. After rooting, OCing, customizing and getting all the new updates "exclusive" to the Nexus, its been simply amazing. My wifes upgrade is in April and I was considering getting the Nexus with that and giving her my Droid, but after learning my Droids hardware is certainly capable of everything the Nexus's can do too, I don't care to have it now. I think I'd prefer to have a physical keyboard too though.

So of course my opinion is to go ahead and get a Droid. I'm sure you'll be extremely happy with it, esp. if you like to constantly customize, tinker and play with new apps. Plus, if you for some reason decide you don't like it, you can take it back within 30 days. But if you do, I'm not sure if you'll get your new every 2 rebate back. That'd be a good question to ask before hand.

This whole post was made on my Droid, btw, lol.

I think waiting for Microsoft's announcement is what I'm waiting for the most. I like the Zune HD, so a Zune Phone could be great depending on what they say about WinMo 7. I'm not waiting for an Iphone, but that's just me.

I'd recommend seeing what shows up at the MWC (Mobile World Congress) which starts on February 15th. There are several sites that will be keeping up with news on it. See if there is anything you like or any news about upcoming phones that may be appealing to you. Verizon's 2 year contracts are horrible, just my 2 cents.

Verizon's 2 year contracts are horrible, just my 2 cents.
They are not as cast in stone as it would appear. I guess when there's a particularly "unpopular" phone they will allow considerable wiggle room. My Blackberry Storm is supposed to be a two-year contract phone, but after a year they are already allowing me to replace it. In fact some Storm owners were specifically told by Verizon that they qualified for an early upgrade.

I'll likely check out the Nexus when it comes to Verizon. If it's got the stuff I want it will be a done deal.

Honestly, after using Google maps+GPS on the Droid, I don't think I'll be looking at non android phones for awhile. The phone to get is the Nexus one, which apparently will be available at the end of next month on Verizon's network.

Last edited:
do what i did just find a new or barely used Palm pre or plus if your verizon off cragslist or ebay that way you dont have to renew your contract but still get a new phone

Droid and don't look back. You're going to be amazed at all the attention this device will be getting in the next weeks/months, notably Flash 10.1 - the true iPhone killer.

I love the droid and can't imagine my life without it. I would get a droid since there will always be ANOTHER new phone coming out. Wait till summer or fall and then you will want a phone coming in fall or winter...

I've got an Eris and I absolutely love it.

Just wish it had 2.1 on it. I wish the HD2 had Android/Sense UI.

I would say wait for the Nexus. I'm going to try to upgrade to that when it comes out.

EDIT

I know the HD2 isn't available on Verizon. Just meant i wish it was.

Back