Renew to BitDefender 2017 or move to Symantec Premium 2017 ?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by TechLarry, Oct 22, 2016.

1. TechLarry

TechLarry Pick your own.....you deserve it.

My BD sub expires soon. Trying to decide whether I should switch to Norton 2017. It's my understanding that Norton is no longer the grand POS it used to be.

What say you?

2. TechLarry

TechLarry Pick your own.....you deserve it.

3. klank

klank Killer of Killer NIC Threadz

Norton will always be a grand piece of shit. Bitdefender isn't much better.

Eset is a better choice.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  4. Monkey34

Monkey34 [H]ardness Supreme

Bitdefender scored higher than Norton/Symantec on both the home and business fronts in the last av-test.org

Bitdefender also score as a top player at av-comparatives.org ..... Norton as usual excluded themselves from the testing; since like 2012. They say it's because they disagree with their testing methodology.

Seems a clear choice to me.

5. FlangeMonkey

FlangeMonkey Limp Gawd

If your talking for Home, I would not go Symantec. Enterprise is a different story IMO and a different use case. I haven't used it, but I have people that have deployed several BitDefender in enterprise but I am unsure were the line is between its Home and Enterprise counterparts. Symantec line has normally been quite fare and I use it in enterprise but never for home use.

That being said, I would suggest looking at Kaspersky.

6. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat [H]ardForum Junkie

We've switched most of our SMB clients over to BitDefender (via N-Able). I gotta say....we love it. We were a big Eset partner...but in the past 5 years Btdefender has climbed to the top (take a look at the very neutral and real world testing done at av-comparatives.org). We've experienced less problems with Bitdefender as far as infections, as well as less problems with false positives, and issues with servers and LOB apps. I've only had 1x issue with an application, a client that's a metal fab shop, their waterjet software (which doesn't like any antivirus at all).