renaming or moving mkv files bring system to knees

nobody_here

[H]F Junkie
what in the holy hell is going on when a system like this cant manage to rename a freaking file without needing an hour to think about it?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12311939/mkv rename or move.jpg

It's not every mkv file, maybe one out of 20 guessing, but what the heck is this?

Even aside from this I have been seeing terrible disk drive performance from Windows 7 x64 lately.....not sure whats going on but when I try to copy a a few hundred megabytes from my hard drive (2x320Gb WD AAKS 7200rpm SATA Raid0) to say a USB MicroSD card it takes a "month of Sundays"

pretty sure it is two separate issues, but pretty much Windows 7 x64 hard drive performance has been terrible for me since last install

all drivers and whatnot have been updated such as AMD RAID drivers and such.....what gives?

It could be a bad codec install causing a loop in the file preview? Or a disk going bad or a raid driver causing the slowness.

It could be a bad codec install causing a loop in the file preview? Or a disk going bad or a raid driver causing the slowness.

I was with ya on the bad codec thing. But not sure how to narrow that down since it happens only once in a while. Its not something I can easily reproduce.

Are you using MSE? I've noticed that time to time, when working with larger files, it'll decide to completely scan it before doing the requested operation and bring disk performance down.

you have any file copy utilities installed?
I had one and I found it would intercept all move commands and change them to copies.
sounds like the same is happening here.

Are you using MSE? I've noticed that time to time, when working with larger files, it'll decide to completely scan it before doing the requested operation and bring disk performance down.

I do use MSE and had not considered that yet. What I do notice is the title bar of the window will take forever to fill up green.

you have any file copy utilities installed?
I had one and I found it would intercept all move commands and change them to copies.
sounds like the same is happening here.

No. Definately no file copy utilities installed.

You might want to run a surface scan on both of those drives, preferably with WD's own disk tools.

A couple of months ago I've noticed some weird, yet similar issues with some files that would grind my system to a halt if I opened them, renamed them, etc. I ran CHKDSK /F on the drive and found no issues but after using WDDLG...yep, the drive was fucked (bad sectors EVERYWHERE). :mad:

I do use MSE and had not considered that yet. What I do notice is the title bar of the window will take forever to fill up green.

You can go into the MSE settings and configure it to not scan certain filetypes; obviously video files aren't going to be virus-laden things (in the old days WMV and ASF files could have embedded URLs to pages that could execute something but that's a long time ago), so AVI MKV MP4 and all the audio file formats etc, put those extensions in the exclusions list and that should help somewhat IF that's what's causing the problems.

It could be an issue as GushpinBob hinted at: if the files are written to a part of the hard drive that has a chunk of bad sectors (even 1, actually) it could be causing that choking behavior on whatever transfer is happening.

I'd say do a complete scan using the manufacturer's diagnostic (the maker of the drive, that is) and see what it provides in terms of a scan report. Can't hurt...

Corrupt AC3 file and/or h.264 file. You can use a third party explorer window that won't go ape-shit on your ram to select & rename the file, but it's still broken somewhere. A fresh re-encode will do the trick.

You got Divx installed? Because if you have then thats more than likely the problem. I had all sorts of problems with it. I installed it so wmp could see mkv files and stream them to my tv in another room. Worked fine for a few minutes but after that it caused my pc to crawl whenever i even dared highlight a media file i would get the same issue you have.

Uninstalled Divx and the issue magically went away. Divx is terrible lately

You got Divx installed? Because if you have then thats more than likely the problem. I had all sorts of problems with it. I installed it so wmp could see mkv files and stream them to my tv in another room. Worked fine for a few minutes but after that it caused my pc to crawl whenever i even dared highlight a media file i would get the same issue you have.

Uninstalled Divx and the issue magically went away. Divx is terrible lately

i found several other people with that as well and uninstalled it....im actually using the Sharkys007 codec pack

Back