Rename Fear.exe and gain +30% performance on X1K

HAHAHA it does work! That's really freakin wierd. Using the exact same settings, I ran the performance test and got:

Min FPS: 41
Avg FPS: 66
Max FPS: 117

Then I renamed the exe to test.exe and ran the performance test twice, the lowest I got was:

Min FPS: 43
Avg FPS: 75
Max FPS: 172

Makes me wonder what the hell is going on here. Everything appeared to render the exact same either way I ran it. :confused:

Quack? :p

Is there a difference in image quality? It must have something to do with a game profile. Probably not a big deal really.

Well, just watching the test run I can't see any difference at all in image quality. It will probably turn out to be something stupid that causes this, but I couldn't help but laugh. Quack was the first thing that came to mind...just in reverse. :p

PRIME1 said:
Probably not a big deal really.

Normally you could expect something like this the other way around. Rename a file and lose performance, because Cat AI doesn't recognize the game/not turning opts on. But what happens now is very strange. Maybe Ati is keeping some performance in their sleeves? ;)

I swear I get worse performance in games with Cat AI on so I leave it off all the time. Maybe it has to do with optimizations not working properly. *shrugs*

I'm replaying FEAR currently I may have to try this trick.

-edit- *cries* only seems to work for x1800 class cards. :(

Bulletproof said:
i remember reading a while ago that renaming the exe has something to do with HDR

But there is no HDR feature in FEAR... :confused: I mean, the game is taxing as is... add HDR for the KO.

These guys seem to be suggesting it works to some degree for all ati cards. Don't have the game so can't try it.

gostriker said:
These guys seem to be suggesting it works to some degree for all ati cards. Don't have the game so can't try it.

So what your saying I could crack my 9600XT from 800x600 to 1600x1200? :D

SPARTAN VI said:
But there is no HDR feature in FEAR... :confused: I mean, the game is taxing as is... add HDR for the KO.

woops, for some reason I got FEAR confused with FarCry.. Renaming the EXE in FarCry does something too..

The jury is still out on this. Intresting results to say the least. I want to see beter driver implementaion before the vedict comes in. The new ring controller has tremendous potential but is untapped for perfomance as yet. :)

Originally Posted by CATALYST MAKER

It’s a "bug" in that we simply got an IF statement backwards . Thanks for pointing this out to us, you have just helped us get a big performance gain. Of course there is no difference in the rendering, it’s just a CATALYST AI game specific optimization that was good for the demo version, but backfired in the final version. We will get it sorted out in a future Catalyst (not 5.11 which is being posted tomorrow by the way).

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=621206&postcount=66

not in Cat 5.11's though :(

i hope they don't wait for Cat 5.12 to release the fix, this needs a Cat 5.11"a" "hotfix" version now

jebo_4jc said:
Makes me wonder how many "driver bugs" have been fixed, and introduced as "performance improvements", which inspired us to praise the almighty video card gods?

You would think the Cat team would have caught this ~20% performance loss before they released the driver....
wait what driver does this apply to? any?

You'd think wouldn't you ;)

Now the question is, was this going to be a 'ooo look at this performance boost' in the 5.12s, or will they now simply roll out a 'hot-fix for the "bug"' for the 5.11s :confused:

Violator said:
You'd think wouldn't you ;)

Now the question is, was this going to be a 'ooo look at this performance boost' in the 5.12s, or will they now simply roll out a 'hot-fix for the "bug"' for the 5.11s :confused:
either way the extra preformance is there and thats what matters. :) 20-30% is a lot

Brent_Justice said:
not in Cat 5.11's though :(

i hope they don't wait for Cat 5.12 to release the fix, this needs a Cat 5.11"a" "hotfix" version now
What are you telling us? That ATI has a poor driver development team?

purefun65 said:
What are you telling us? That ATI has a poor driver development team?

lol, where did you get that from

no, i'm saying IMO they shouldn't wait to put this fix in Cat 5.12, this is something that a 'hotfix' driver would do nicely before then, because a lot of people are playing FEAR NOW, and this would help their gaming experience

Brent_Justice said:

no, i'm saying IMO they shouldn't wait to put this fix in Cat 5.12, this is something that a 'hotfix' driver would do nicely before then, because a lot of people are playing FEAR NOW, and this would help their gaming experience
i couldnt agree more.

Brent_Justice said:

Brent, a (hopefully non-flame) question here. Do you think this was a genuine 'oversight' in the driver, or a future 'optimisation' that's been discovered early. The performance margin is quite large which makes me wonder really.

Brent_Justice said:

I'm not flaming you. I wanted a clearer definition of your statement. I got one TY

Back