removing sound absorption mats from your case

aldy402

2[H]4U
Im trying to remove my sound absorption pads from case and its super sticky, I used the preapplied sticky adhesive it came with. Im trying to peel it off for a new project but it looks nearly impossible.

anybody have any ideas?

Are you trying to save the mat or just ripping it out? You can probably use something like googone and be able to get if off without much of a problem. Also depending on how patient you are you can peel up a corner and slowly cut away the glue with a straight razor. Just some suggestions. Also might see if rubbing alcohol will get it back to a more liquid consistency and allow you to peel it off.

im not trying to save it, im jus ripping it out
this sound matting is super stubborn
i tried peeling it off slowly with a hot knife but nothing works, it jus comes off like crumbs

dammit anybody have any advice?

soak it in naptha and burn it off...lol

no...thats prolly not a smart idea. if its just metal you can prolly put it in the oven for a while and peel it off
just makesure theres no plastic on it else itll warp and stuff. the oven method is how i got the same sort of stuff off of some of my car parts (mom didnt appreciate it much, but it worked)

I would suggest using some glue dissipator that doesn't stain.

Quick question about the accoustic dampening material, how well did it work?

Go to homedepot and get something like googone or grease remover. I forgot the name but if I see it, I will recognize it. I have a bottle at home. It totally works flawlessly against stubborn sound absorbing mats.

I'm not experienced with this, only guessing, but if you need some ideas head over to your local home improvement store and look for an adhesive remover, or maybe a flooring adhesive remover.

Best place to check would be Wallcoverings or Floorcoverings deparments.

If you could take in a small piece of the mat to show the person there what the adhesive is like, they could probably give you a good idea what to use. You'd probably also be able to find Goo Gone there if that's all the removing power you need.

aldy402 said:
im not trying to save it, im jus ripping it out
this sound matting is super stubborn
i tried peeling it off slowly with a hot knife but nothing works, it jus comes off like crumbs

dammit anybody have any advice?

Hi,
can you let me know what's up with the board I payed you for ?

OK found that bottle...
It is called Goof off...homedepot has it for $3 something. You need just enough to wet the interface between mat and metal and it will come off...Love this thing

Randy2 said:
Hi,
can you let me know what's up with the board I payed you for ?
This isn't the place for that
rolleyes.gif

If this deal was transacted in the FS/T forums, there's a sub-forum there to post stuff like this. Otherwise, take it to PM's.

magnuspah said:
OK found that bottle...
It is called Goof off...homedepot has it for $3 something. You need just enough to wet the interface between mat and metal and it will come off...Love this thing

thanks im gonna give it a shot and let you know

Use a hair dryer...it'll soften up the old adhesive but won't blister your paint...well maybe it will ..then use any kind of solvent to remove the residue...Laquer thinner or gasoline even works great on unpainted surfaces. Gas is proly the cheapest solvent you will be able to find if your on a budget.

Back