Removing redundancies in Win 8.1 My Computer, or "This PC"

Tazmonian

n00b
Heya, I've been having a terrible time tring to remove the redundant library folders from Win8.1's new "This PC". Ideally, I'd like to keep my libraries without deleting them completely and just go back to the way the navigation pane and file explorer looks in default Win 8. So far I've looked into a couple of the older registry hacks available but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://i.imgur.com/ulpyvqh.png Here is a picture for reference of what I'd like to remove.

Given the preview nature of the current 8.1, it may actually be a bug for which there currently is no fix.

Remove
Code:
{1CF1260C-4DD0-4ebb-811F-33C572699FDE}
{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E4678}
{3ADD1653-EB32-4cb0-BBD7-DFA0ABB5ACCA}
{A0953C92-50DC-43bf-BE83-3742FED03C9C}
{A8CDFF1C-4878-43be-B5FD-F8091C1C60D0}
{B4BFCC3A-DB2C-424C-BO29-7FE99A87C641}
from
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\

Before:

After:

Last edited:
CLSID manipulation is always [strike=zap]fun[/s] a pain in the ass. I'm glad SK26 had the answer since I may want to utilize that fix, too. :)

Also note that if you check 'Show libraries', explorer starts in Libraries instead of 'This PC.' Not sure why Microsoft still hasn't fixed that.

Thanks for posting this. I can't seem to pull up the images at work, but I was hoping there was some way to get rid of or hide folders I have no use for.

Here's a question - is it possible to only remove some of those? For instance I don't want or need the Downloads of Desktop "This PC" folders considering I don't use either and probably never will.

Downloads: {374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E4678}
Desktop: {B4BFCC3A-DB2C-424C-BO29-7FE99A87C641}

Thanks a ton - that worked great.
I swear MS should make tweaks like this part of the OS itself.

Unrelated, but did the option for making image back-ups (Windows 7 Back-Up and Repair) totally disappear in Windows 8.1?

Thanks a ton - that worked great.
I swear MS should make tweaks like this part of the OS itself.

It kind of is, in the sense that all you had to do was tweak a few registry settings, as opposed to, say, binary patching some core .DLL. They just don't have a nice Control Panel widget to do it for you.

It kind of is, in the sense that all you had to do was tweak a few registry settings, as opposed to, say, binary patching some core .DLL. They just don't have a nice Control Panel widget to do it for you.

It's definitely not hard, but I was thinking of something along the lines of simply right clicking some white space and choosing which folders you want to display.
Ditto with the program folders in Windows 8. You can customize what is where if you go to the two separate start menu folders buried 15 folders deep. Why not just let us drag and drop icons or right click and delete folders?
Windows 8 is very customizable, but MS has seemingly hidden the means to do it easily.

Back