Removing AG-Coating from Acer XB270HU?

sadbuttrue

Gawd
Has anyone done it? My unit is perfect in every way, except the sparkle which is causing eyestrain.

How anyone can think this coating is acceptable is beyond me. At certain angles the coating is clearly visible.

It's a refurbished unit I got cheap so warranty not a concern.

Do it. Just be sure to give the coating enough time to soak and take your time as to not also rip the polarizer off. Report back your results.

;)

What do you mean by sparkle? I am assuming coating is same on the XB271HU so I don't have any sparkles. Do post detailed pictures on how you ruined your monitor!

What do you mean by sparkle? I am assuming coating is same on the XB271HU so I don't have any sparkles. Do post detailed pictures on how you ruined your monitor!
The sparkle OP is talking about is caused by the "screen door" effect that happens with medium- to heavy-AG coatings on light background. It causes the light to refract and show bright rainbow-colored artifacts, which can make it hard for your eyes to focus and cause headaches. It's obvious if you display a white background on a screen with such a coating.

Eh, I don't really notice it on the XB270HU. No, it doesn't shine like my glossy Overlord Tempest, but it also doesn't have nearly the type of grainy "sparkle" that my HP ZR30w had. Sounds like a huge risk to me, but if you go ahead and have success please let us know.

On a white screen if you stand up and look down you can see the sparkle and ag-coating more clearly. All the 144hz IPS screens use the same panel so they will all have identical coating.

I may have got this monitor cheap but not sure I'm willing to be the first to rip the coating off - just yet. I'll give it some time to annoy me before deciding :)

It's there, denial, it sucks.:cool:

Do it, please inform us if you do, want to do the same for mine.;)

tried to do with mine, polarizer came off lol, i bought another one and PM'd vega to do it for me.

I did my XB321HK. It will really depend on the panel. This panel was very easy to do. An old ASUS 1080p I tried was a lot more difficult and caused slight polarizer damage because of the strength of the glue. I'm not sure if Max did it 100% properly or not, but if he did, that likely indicates strong glue making it very high risk.

Make sure you give time for water to melt the glue or you will shred the panel. Killed a VG248 that way.

If you really want to be risky, you might be able to remove the film like a CRT. Take a razor blade, slice into squares and peel. Do note that doing that on LCD is very dangerous and AFAIK not tried before. 1.5mm polorizer sheeting is a whole lot weaker than inch thick, leaded borosilicate glass.

Tried the damp papertowel method, the polarizer and AG coating are almost inseparable. If Vega says he can do it, I will send him my panel if he cant then its probability impossible to do. ALTHOUGH i read somewhere somebody bought a xb270hu on craigslist when they got it there was no anti glare sheet and it look like someone used a liquid substance to melt off the AG because there was thick residue and smudges leftover. Lets just wait for Vega's reply

Tried the damp papertowel method, the polarizer and AG coating are almost inseparable. If Vega says he can do it, I will send him my panel if he cant then its probability impossible to do. ALTHOUGH i read somewhere somebody bought a xb270hu on craigslist when they got it there was no anti glare sheet and it look like someone used a liquid substance to melt off the AG because there was thick residue and smudges leftover. Lets just wait for Vega's reply

The Asus and Acer IPS and TN panels that are in the Swift and Predator 27 inch monitors cannot have the AG removed. I have already attempted it and I have sucessfully removed over a dozen AG filters on other monitors with no issues.

DO NOT attempt to remove it on these panels, they use a non water based glue that adheres to the polarizer and all you will do is ruin the display.

The Asus and Acer IPS and TN panels that are in the Swift and Predator 27 inch monitors cannot have the AG removed. I have already attempted it and I have sucessfully removed over a dozen AG filters on other monitors with no issues.

DO NOT attempt to remove it on these panels, they use a non water based glue that adheres to the polarizer and all you will do is ruin the display.
Wow, really? Are they somehow upset about people removing the coating? Doing so would void your warranty, anyway, so I don't see what the issue is...

You can buy a polarizer sheet and put it over it , it will come out much better that way.
Where would.ypu get a polarizer sheet for this display?

I wonder if one coild get a a-tw polarizer, those help.reduce the ips glow.big time!

Back