Removed the IHS from an Ivy Bridge i5 3570k

And I fully understand your point, and I'd like to see them soldered as well, I just think you are overstepping by calling it a flaw or a bad product. You need to reserve those terms for actual flaws and bad products, or you devalue the terms - a kind of reverse grade inflation. Just like every new game is "game of the year" and "a 9.5 out of 10" even though everyone knows they suck.

I won't even go so far as to say they need to be soldered. that would be nice, but if that's what their manufacturing process calls for (thermal paste), then have at it. but just do it correctly. it's not a good sign when people at home can delid the cpu, apply 20 cents of arctic silver 5, and have better results. I don't believe this was intentional in any way, I really do think Intel messed up on this one. it's not like some engineer is sitting an intel saying to himself, "alright, we've spent millions of manhours and millions on development on this cpu, now let's intentionally make it 10C hotter." they still have a reputation to maintain afterall, and they wouldn't want enthusiasts to hesitate when deciding if the next generation of intel cpus is really better or not for them.

may go ahead and try this TIM mod, have $200 in the sock drawer and microcenter 10 minutes away if it goes bad.. snuck my order of coollabs liquid ultra past my wifey, told her it was for the furnace lmao.. must admit I am about as nervous as when I took a #2 pencil to my last tri-sli motherboard to eliminate the vdroop.. but that one turned out well. so sonda, how hard is it to get that ring of glue off? did you really need a dremel?

IB 3770k PCB getting some dremel loven....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fja2yJCN80

This looks pointless..
In fact, if you're not careful, you can Dremel right into the green PCB, and say "bye-bye" to your CPU..... The leftover glue "ring" is actually a good thing in my mind if you're simply replacing TIM and reusing the lid. It's much easier to place the lid back in it's original place without slipin'n'slidin' all over clean PCB of the CPU when trying to lock it back into the socket. Just a thought...;)

This looks pointless..
In fact, if you're not careful, you can Dremel right into the green PCB, and say "bye-bye" to your CPU..... The leftover glue "ring" is actually a good thing in my mind if you're simply replacing TIM and reusing the lid. It's much easier to place the lid back in it's original place without slipin'n'slidin' all over clean PCB of the CPU when trying to lock it back into the socket. Just a thought...;)

lol.. after 5 seconds of though.. you are right. the heatsink will just sqiush it anyways. i am not going to bother with that black ring if i do it.

] so sonda, how hard is it to get that ring of glue off? did you really need a dremel?

Not my video. Just sharing it. Fennel seems to work fine but I would probably just run it off worn my fingers and ethyl alcohol.

I haven't done this mod yet but I am doing research and preparing to do it.

Not my video. Just sharing it. Fennel seems to work fine but I would probably just run it off worn my fingers and ethyl alcohol.

I haven't done this mod yet but I am doing research and preparing to do it.

Misleading thread title, "removed" is past tense. :p

Neither does this one. It isn't a design flaw, it's a design choice. And you don't have to remove parts to get it to run 10-20C cooler unless you want to because it runs just fine the way it was intended to run. Were the old Athlons flawed because you could de-lid them and get lower temps also? A design flaw was the old 1GHz Pentium, which wouldn't run at stock speeds without failing, and a bad product was Prescott, which used significantly more power than the previous generation product - neither of which is true this time. This is just overclockers crying because they can't get huge performance increases for free any longer. And for all that, it still overclocks fine for moderate clocks, it's just people trying to recreate Sandy results that are having issues.

And I fully understand your point, and I'd like to see them soldered as well, I just think you are overstepping by calling it a flaw or a bad product. You need to reserve those terms for actual flaws and bad products, or you devalue the terms - a kind of reverse grade inflation. Just like every new game is "game of the year" and "a 9.5 out of 10" even though everyone knows they suck.

Flaw (noun): a feature that mars the perfection of something; defect; fault: beauty without flaw; the flaws in our plan.

IB is a FLAWED product. It is not a non-functional or broken one, but it is not perfect. Even something that works as intended can be flawed. I could buy a fantastic cake with a turd on top and even if the baker decided that the turd was what he wanted to go with because the alternative was more expensive, its still a turd. Now, I'm not saying IB is shit, but by deliberately choosing something that was definitively worse than the old model, they included a flaw in their design.

Flaw (noun): a feature that mars the perfection of something; defect; fault: beauty without flaw; the flaws in our plan.

IB is a FLAWED product. It is not a non-functional or broken one, but it is not perfect. Even something that works as intended can be flawed. I could buy a fantastic cake with a turd on top and even if the baker decided that the turd was what he wanted to go with because the alternative was more expensive, its still a turd. Now, I'm not saying IB is shit, but by deliberately choosing something that was definitively worse than the old model, they included a flaw in their design.

Well stated and I concur.

Getting ready to Delid.

Over the last few weeks I have been doing some research on contact paper pressure testing to see how well i5-3570k is making contact with IHS.

CPTDIEhorizontalDTSNIPER.JPG

The dark pink colors shows the proper pressure for best contact. The results are poor. the center portion of the pattern is where my 3570k is seated underneath the IHS. If the IHS is making this bad of contact then I'm sure the IHS contact with the die is probably screwed up as well.

LinX run with IHS and DT SNIPER water block.
I5-3570k @ 4.5GHZ 1.17v

Ambient Temps 23C.
TIM IC Diamond 24

pARALELMOUNTI53570KdtsNIPER.jpg

Last edited:
Why not just lap the cpu if you have bad temps due to bad contact?
I would be afraid if scrapping the cpu trying to remove the ihs from the cpu.

If you really want to add some MHz to your cpu you are definitely making the right choice by de-lidding. I have a similar saved bios setting for 4.5 with 1.2v in bios and when I put that through the torture with IBT on max it only hits 74 degrees. I am not de-lidding because I think my chip is thermally acceptable, not as good as sandy of course but I have a setting for 1.35v @ 4.8GHz which hits 95°C in IBT. That is touching both maximums at the same time (voltage max that I will use and temperature max that I will torture at). De-lidding wouldn't gain me any improvement because I will not push the volts past 1.35v and it is thermally alright for gaming which is the most punishment I give to it (while gaming the cpu never crosses 70 degrees). But in your case you are being held back by thermal limits at a very low voltage. I think you have to bite the bullet and go through with it. Although it will power even an SLI rig without a hitch and you probably won't see ivy @ 4.5GHz being a bottleneck for a few years to come.

If you really want to add some MHz to your cpu you are definitely making the right choice by de-lidding. I have a similar saved bios setting for 4.5 with 1.2v in bios and when I put that through the torture with IBT on max it only hits 74 degrees. I am not de-lidding because I think my chip is thermally acceptable.

I have seen IB post different max temps for similar speeds and temps and I am convinced that the poor performance on some IB cpus is due to the poor IHS design. There is no consistency on the quality of the IHS with the TIM from the factory.

No going back. Have to delid.

I'm not delidding with the hopes of being able to push my over clock faster. Only reason I am delidding is to lower temps. If I am able to get a stable 5GHZ in the process of lowering my temps it will be a bonus prize that I am not demanding. I do demand lower temps.

Last edited:
Back