Removed Corsair H50 backplate, took a piece of my mothernoard with it...

86 5.0L

Supreme [H]ardness
I took off my Corsair H50 to move to a custom WC build, trying to remove the backplate the 3M sponge pads had become dry and brittle(turned to ashes when scraped off) I tried using alcohol to soften it up but somehow it still ripped a piece of my motherboard off...

Is there any risk by leaving it like this??

img1147c.jpg

As long as it didn't lift any of those solder pads I would just cover it with electrical tape.

Aaagh, I am so glad that didn't happen when I removed the pads. After that I learned to never, ever allow anything sticky on a mobo :p I ended up using a hair dryer to help me heat up + pry the pads off.

i didnt remove the cover on the sticky pad that were in contact with the mb. they are only stuck on the h50 backplate.

It looks like some soldermask flaked off, it shouldn't be a problem unless you allow something conductive to short to it.

I cut mine off after I realized the board would split in half before I could pull them off. Those pads are ridiculously bad

well, I left it bare for now, so far everything is fine, but I regret using those stupid pads...

The H70 cooler's pads were exactly the same.
I managed to use thermal grease remover to loosen it up.

I'm not sure why Corsair tries to make it a permanent solution. :rolleyes:

yeah, next time just use a piece of electric tape to attach the backplate, not the pads themselves ;) My swiftech backplate is the same way, so I didn't remove the film from the adhesive side of the pads, and just stick it using the electric tape... After all, all you need for it to hold in place while you are attaching the cooler on the other side.

That's why I never ever use those sticky pads that come with heatsink. I just don't use anything, it takes a bit longer to install, but with care, it's do-able and no sticky/hardened glue to take off later on. I know that I switch heatsink from board to board like crazy, so I never make it permanent on anything I install, especially those sticky heatsink backplates.

The idea of making a cooling solutions, especially an all in one item like the H50, is insane. They know they are selling this product to enthusiasts... obviously we are going to upgrade at some point!

The idea of making a cooling solutions, especially an all in one item like the H50, is insane. They know they are selling this product to enthusiasts... obviously we are going to upgrade at some point!

In H50, there's nothing to upgrade. You can only upgrade to full-grade cooling, which means throwing away everything from H50 - the pump, the HS, and the rad, none of which compare to even the low-end watercooling parts

In H50, there's nothing to upgrade. You can only upgrade to full-grade cooling, which means throwing away everything from H50 - the pump, the HS, and the rad, none of which compare to even the low-end watercooling parts
he means upgrade hardware, not cooling.

get some liquid electrical tape at napa or other auto store and cover it.
A small jar is only a couple bucks.
That is what your removed by the looks of it.

Back