Remove windows 2k cd key

fireburster

[H]ard|Gawd
I work for a company and we bought dells from a leasing company. We want to install 2k on all 140 laptops but not want them to have the same cd key. We want to install 2k then remove the cdkey so they have to install the cd key thats on the bottom of the laptop. So then they all have licences 2k and not the same key.

I believe a combination of Ghost and Sysprep will work for you here.

fireburster said:
well problem is we dont have any of the laptops just the drives.
djnes said:
I believe a combination of Ghost and Sysprep will work for you here.
Assuming you can get one station to be the "master" station.

fireburster said:
well problem is we dont have any of the laptops just the drives.

Well, you need to get at least one laptop to create the master image, sysprep it, then ghost it to the other laptop drives.

we are looking into sysprep since none of use have used it. One person has but its been awhile.

I see underlying problems here. Why do you want individual keys installed on the machines? That's generally an options for OEMs, and is useless in the a corp. environment.

our lease was up. Each laptop has 2k licenced for it. We sold the laptops to employees. The leasing company said 2k would be on them. They charge 30bucks to install 2k on each one. So we got the drives to install 2k that way when the employee boots up 2k is installed but prompts them for the key on the bottom of the laptop. Its a big mess really.

fireburster said:
our lease was up. Each laptop has 2k licenced for it. We sold the laptops to employees. The leasing company said 2k would be on them. They charge 30bucks to install 2k on each one. So we got the drives to install 2k that way when the employee boots up 2k is installed but prompts them for the key on the bottom of the laptop. Its a big mess really.
Ahh, the financial wreck that is leasing PCs... It's more clear now. You basically are setting these up like OEMs.

Hopefully the morons in your finance dept. have learned the extra "costs" assiciated with leasing.

Sysprep info.
More.

Good luck.

Back