Remove disk from a volume group without losing data

I have a volume group of a 80gb, 160gb, and a 500gb hard drive on a Openfiler box. I dropped the 500gb hard drive on accident and now it does a slight clicking so I want to get it replaced as soon as possible so I want to remove it from the volume group. The volume group is only 188gb used right now. Is there anyway I can remove the 500gb harddrive from the volume group without having to backup all the data first?

You asked a very specific question, and I'm sorry to be the one to ignore it, but BACK UP YOUR DATA.

A single dead harddrive should not pose a threat to the integrity of your data. Buy a removable drive, get that shit backed up pronto.

Nothing specifically related to this thread, but... I just had to compliment the OP on the fact that he spelled "losing" data correctly. So often nowadays, we see examples of "loosing" instead of losing and "looser" instead of loser. That's it...

</off_topic> :D

You asked a very specific question, and I'm sorry to be the one to ignore it, but BACK UP YOUR DATA.

A single dead harddrive should not pose a threat to the integrity of your data. Buy a removable drive, get that shit backed up pronto.
The thing is right now I am short on cash and I can't buy another hard drive right now. I know there is the lvm pvmove and etc commands and since all my data can fit on the 80gb and 160gb hard drive I wanted to know if I could just move the data off it. I also know of the lvm pvresize command but I believe data loss comes with it. I know there is commands that will possibly do what I want, I just have no clue which I should use in what order.

The thing is right now I am short on cash and I can't buy another hard drive right now. I know there is the lvm pvmove and etc commands and since all my data can fit on the 80gb and 160gb hard drive I wanted to know if I could just move the data off it. I also know of the lvm pvresize command but I believe data loss comes with it. I know there is commands that will possibly do what I want, I just have no clue which I should use in what order.
Sadly, I don't either. But were I you, I'd buy a large external drive. Back everything up on to it, rebuild the LVM without the 500 gigger and use the external as your backup.

Seriously; how important is that data to you?

Back