Remove 'Delete' Option from Media Center

Spacy9

Scotch is my Lord and Savior
I started another thread yesterday about a quiet hard drive for the HTPC I built for my kids. I have my own downstairs running My Movies 2 with the kids running the My Movies 2 client.

The problem I'm trying to avoid is that every time you stop or finish a movie it give you the option to DELETE the movie. I don't have a problem on my box because I won't hit that button, but the kids might. I have searched for this to no avail, I thought it was a My Movies option but the people on their board said it is a Media Center option. Is there any way to remove the "DELETE" option from Vista Media Center.

i think this is better suited for the green button's forum.....

what about making the user account not have full acess but rather read only

i think this is better suited for the green button's forum.....

what about making the user account not have full acess but rather read only

I had looked over at that site but the most recent thread I could find was back from 2007. I didn't want to mess with user accounts, but I may have no choice. I don't know why they just don't let you remove that option - that would be so much simpler.

or on the kids computer just use the DVD_library option over a shared drive on the network..

there is a box you can uncheck in my movies 2, windows media interface. scroll down and remove the checkmark. (cant remember exactly what it is but its pretty easy to spot)

there is a box you can uncheck in my movies 2, windows media interface. scroll down and remove the checkmark. (cant remember exactly what it is but its pretty easy to spot)

I am using My Movies 2, but there is no such option. It's actually a Vista Media Center control, not a My Movies 2 control - I wish it was that easy. I've actually posted over on the My Movies 2 board about this and they were the ones that informed me that it was a Vista Media Center option.

There is an option in My Movies 2 that shows up on ALL of the movies before you play them to remove the media or edit it, but this is the 'DELETE' option that shows up after you stop or finish a movie.

Thanks for trying though.

or on the kids computer just use the DVD_library option over a shared drive on the network..

++ Are the movies ISOs? Is there any reason why your kiddie HTPC needs to run My Movies? Other then needing ISO support I can't see any reason why you'd need it on their HTPC. Remove it and use VMC's DVD Library for them.

++ Are the movies ISOs? Is there any reason why your kiddie HTPC needs to run My Movies? Other then needing ISO support I can't see any reason why you'd need it on their HTPC. Remove it and use VMC's DVD Library for them.

There aren't ISOs, they are converted to XVID. The reason that I'm running My Movies 2 is to share the Database. I should clarify, it's not just for the kids, its for the wife also, I'm just worried about the kids deleting the movies (maybe I should be worried about the wife too...?). But the Database has 667 movies in it right now and I have another 298 to go before my collection is all converted so having some way to organize the movies by categories is VERY helpful. If I use any other program on the 'kids' computer I would have to re-catagorize them all so the kids could find what they want easily, correct?

There aren't ISOs, they are converted to XVID. The reason that I'm running My Movies 2 is to share the Database. I should clarify, it's not just for the kids, its for the wife also, I'm just worried about the kids deleting the movies (maybe I should be worried about the wife too...?). But the Database has 667 movies in it right now and I have another 298 to go before my collection is all converted so having some way to organize the movies by categories is VERY helpful. If I use any other program on the 'kids' computer I would have to re-catagorize them all so the kids could find what they want easily, correct?
No. You just have to setup a kids specific folder and drop all of their movies into it. add that folder to VMC's media database and you're done. Oh, you do have to change the location of the movies in MM2 to reflect this but this folder change will be completely transparent after that.

Your kids get a simplified interface, you get a no delete option and you also get to keep your MM2 database intact for everyone else.

I am going to bump this up, is there a way to turn the "delete" function off in VMC?

Back