Remove camera from Droid?

Rune75

[H]ard|Gawd
Here's the deal. My job does not allow us to have camera phones. We can physically remove the camera from the phone, break the lens, squirt some JB Weld over the lens, or be a lil shifty and get a phone case that blocks the camera.

Any info on any of those options would be awesome.

Don't get the Droid.

I work in a restricted area as well. I don't need my phone at work. I actually....work.
Leave the phone in the car.

The restricted area I work at will only settle for physical removal of the camera. Simply using a 'cover' is definitely a violation of security policy.

Since I am awaiting surgery, I have months of down time in the injured workers program. I love to read but I get in trouble for reading. Playing on my phone is about all the fun I get to have to pass the day.

Waiting on a Droid or N1

There aren't any real options out there, since almost all smartphones have a camera in them. The best recommendation I can think off is to get a BB Tour with no camera, or get an iTouch or heck even an iPad.

iPad is a decent idea - actually it's one of the only scenarios where I would recommend one.

Åndhrimnir;1035262641 said:
iPad is a decent idea - actually it's one of the only scenarios where I would recommend one.

Any area that restricts cameras (especially in phones) probably has a restriction on the RF they use. They may allow a plain-jane phone in, but not one with 3G, WiFi, etc.

The best thing to do is to get with the security manager for the area. Don't rely on what Billy Joe-Bob told you.

Since my best friend and his boss WROTE the phone policy, I know what is and is NOT allowed.

NO PALM or iphone OS at all.

BB, WinMo, Android, Symbian, and any others are ok without a camera. As I stated above, I am more than willing to perform surgery on a phone to remove the camera. I did it to my last three WinMo phones. As far as WiFi goes, nearly every smartphone has it. BUT, my base does not allow wireless routers so that is NOT an issue. 3G is NOT an issue.

I really am looking for resources to either remove the camera or find a cover. Not looking for a debate.

Just looking for info on the Droid or N1.

Thanks!

Why not just get a case and block the hole with some painted epoxy or something like that?

Why not just paint over it? It would a more elegant and robust solution than a piece of tape and it's easily removed without doing any damage to the phone.

Back