Remoteapp woes with Server 2012 R2

metril

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I'm having issues connecting to published remoteapps. I have a DC set up. I have set up the RD Connection Broker, the RD Web Access and RD Virtualization Host. I have created a Windows 8.1 Enterprise VM and have sysprepped it.

Now, I've published say the calculator program and I can see the published program on both the web page and via the remoteapp client for both Mac OSX and Windows 8.1. However, when I try to launch the calculator remoteapp, I see "negotiating credentials" twice and then "Connecting RDP" and the connection just seems to drop. Checking Event Viewer on the host shows that authentication and redirecting the connection were successful. In Hyper-V Manager I can view the remoteapp VM start up when I initiate the remoteapp connection. I can directly remote desktop into the remoteapp VMs provided I know the VM's FQDN or IP address.

It seems like remoteapp just doesn't want to work and no amount of Googling as provided a solution. I am stumped. HELP!

Update: To make things even more interesting, I can create a managed pool of VMs for pure Remote Desktop and I can connect to them successfully via the Remote App program for OSX and Windows 8.1.

Last edited:
Figured it out...

The issue is not really documented anywhere from what I found, except for 1 lonely technet post from 1 year ago. The template VM had the RemoteFX GPU attached. Thus, when the collection VMs were made, they too had the RemoteFX GPU. The RemoteFX GPU does not work for Remoteapps. IT only works for the full desktop. Hence, RDP kept failing with the Remoteapps.

Thanks for following up with the solution.

I have not run into that issue, but good for those that do. I am really enjoying remote app, works great.

@Grentz

Thank you for the thanks. :)

I found the solution a mere hour after my original post. Now, I just got to make sure that I add the link to Technet forum post to my original post.

I've gotten all the kinks worked out in my home deployment. Added an Enterprise CA to my DC. Set up an independent RD Connection Broker with the RD Web Access and turned my Hyper-V host into the RD Virtualization Host.

My end goal is to get a development environment going where I can build/teardown dev environments as needed and have my work seamlessly follow me around on my desktop, surface pro 2, macbook pro, and a couple other devices. It's all really just for me to fool around and tinker with and thus far, I really enjoy it.

Back