Remote X server

BillLeeLee

[H]F Junkie
Hey all,

I'm in a computer graphics class right now, and all the code I'm writing has to work properly on the school's machines. I'm going to program on my home machines and test them on home machines, but when I go to submit them, I want to make sure they will work on the school's machines as well.

The school's computers are running Linux of some form, so I need to create a window remotely (it's OpenGL code).

I know in Windows, this is possible with Xwin32, but I was wondering what the term used for Linux is?

I'm searching, but I'm wondering if it's X forwarding, or...?

Thanks.

If you can ssh directly to the machine you want to run the app on it's pretty easy to do. Just "xhost +<hostname>" on the machine you want to display on, then ssh -X to the host you want to run the app on. That should set things up properly.

You may have to mess around with setting the DISPLAY environment variable on the machine you're running the application on, although ssh -X should set that up for you.

If you have to go through a firewall you may end up forwarding ports around, setting up tunnels, etc.

It's not difficult to do, but sometimes you have to jump through some hoops to get it to work right.

The term is X forwarding.

[H]EMI_426 said:
If you can ssh directly to the machine you want to run the app on it's pretty easy to do. Just "xhost +<hostname>" on the machine you want to display on, then ssh -X to the host you want to run the app on. That should set things up properly.

You may have to mess around with setting the DISPLAY environment variable on the machine you're running the application on, although ssh -X should set that up for you.

If you have to go through a firewall you may end up forwarding ports around, setting up tunnels, etc.

It's not difficult to do, but sometimes you have to jump through some hoops to get it to work right.

The term is X forwarding.

If you're using SSH X forwarding, you shouldn't need to do any of that xhost/firewall crap since the X data is tunneled through the SSH connection.

It often times has required specific addition to ~/.Xauthority for some of our machines at work, but *shrug* whatever.

Back