Remote Monitoring

devkinetic

Weaksauce
Hello,

A few of my folders sit behind a firewall at work and I would like the ability to be able to monitor them from home. I was thinking that I could cron an upload of the necessarily files to my personal web server and hfm or fahspy could grab them off there.

What files/folder would i need and how often should I run this?

Depends on how much detail you want honestly.

If you just want to check the *status* you can do what I did on my site

http://www.evilalchemist.com
Mine is set for hourly update

If you want all the details, i think HFM support loading what you are looking for
HFM remote server - upload file to server created by hfm - hfm reads file on local and loads clients

Hope that make sence

You can use LogMeIn Free to sign in to the computers and check them remotely, that's what I do. You have to install the client (free) on each computer though. Kind of like a web based VPN, but the nice thing about it (and reason I use it) is you don't have to bother with port forwarding and stuff like that.

HFM can generate web statistics locally- not enabled by default. I didn't see any built-in feature that uploads the HFM web stats to a remote website (that would be really handy as I dont have a local website - so I use LogMeIn to check on the stats). But you can simply add an entry to cron to upload the HFM stats to your personal website.

I think it can also email stats out to you at any given interval [I'd rather access a web site when I want to and avoid automatic emails]

hamachi on each box, free version allows for 16 clients per network

if you have more then 16 clients just make multiple networks and make sure the system you want to monitor with is in each network.

then just point HFM.net or which ever software you want to monitor wit7h to the work folder of your clients

Hamachi net 1 - FAH clients 1-15
/
YOU
\
Hamachi net 2 - FAH clients 16-29

Edit: cant format it the way id like but you get the idea

basically works with both nix and windows,

You could try MSTSC.exe; it's a remote desktop protocol built into Windows. I'm not sure if it can take control of computers over the internet, I've only tried it on my local network, but it does that just fine, so you could give it a go.

Thanks for all of your replies. The main issue is that these machines sit behind a tight firewall. I can talk out, but getting to any of these things is hard / impossible from the outside.

I wanted to use the new fahspy (or hfm is it will) which will calculate the point bonuses and have it installed at home and monitoring my local network. I feel like the easiest thing to do would be simply upload the required files elsewhere (my web server or something) and then i can easily link up to my client at home to see whats going on. I'm not interested in real time stats, but i'd like some numbers.

The machines are work are a centos server i have root on and a mac pro i have limited access to. I don't want to install anything if not really necessary, and if so i would want it on the centos server since i'm not locked down.

Back