Remote monitoring software for use in a high school environment?

minc3d

Gawd
Our district is on the prowl for a replacement product to something we have used up until this year, called NetOp. It provides our lab monitors and teachers with the capability of watching over what kids are doing on their screens in class to ensure that improper web browsing isn't going on, etc. It can also be used to send out files to desktops during class.

This year we have had to turn the product off since it has a large known issue with crashing Microsoft Office products. The company is very slow in updating for bugs that are found, and in turn, we couldn't let the broken app keep crashing kids' Office projects. We have been pretty disappointed with the product ever since we got it, as the company has always promised a better program but always failed to deliver on their word.

We are looking for a replacement to this program and are curious if any other districts use any better software? I know there are very expensive ones out there that are for corporate, but we need something along the price level of Netop that is affordable. We have Active Directory now so if the program ties into this, even better.

Any suggestions from techs out there would be helpful. If you use the product and are happy with it, this would be ideal.

Our machines are nearly all Windows 7 x64 Ent now on the client side, so if your environment matches and you have a product that works well, please tell!

Check out Lanschool.

They have a free version which offers only screen monitoring. You can upgrade to the paid for version and gain things such as web and application blocking, as well as power on/off (as long as it's not wireless).

The only problem I have with them is every minor update, ie, 7.5->7.6, requires a cost to upgrade. Otherwise it is a reliable product that is very easy to use.

haha, I remember when I was in highshool the teachers had something like this, but they never looked it. We would play world of warcraft and every once and while teacher would have his screen on the projector and everybody could see we were playing but he never looked back at the screen. :p

Kaseya offers viewing of screens, etc... It is much more powerful than just that. It's mainly used by managed services providers... take a look.

Back