remote help through small business server 2003

Rahh

[H]ard|Gawd
I asked this awhile back but I wanted to check back in with you all. I'm running windows small business server 2003 in which I have some connected to it through VPN connections. Is there an easy/free way to offer these users that are connected to my server through VPN remote assistance?

You don't need VPN...just use Remote Web Workplace. Ports 4125 tcp and 443 tcp forwarding to the LAN IP of the server.

From there...when logged into RWW as the Administrator...you have the ability to offer remote assistance to the workstation users of the SBS LAN.

I just read a good article on how to change the default remote assistance to allow you to connect to workstations without having the users send you an invite, I might have the link someplace,.

But yeah, 443 and 4125 for RWW, it rocks !

I just read a good article on how to change the default remote assistance to allow you to connect to workstations without having the users send you an invite, I might have the link someplace,.

But yeah, 443 and 4125 for RWW, it rocks !

Yeah see if you can find that link, it would be nice. I have started to use this feature on our SBS at work and its nice but I would like to be able to take that step out for my users.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb456978.aspx

That has some good info on it..Not EXACTLY what your looking for, but maybe.

Edit: Look at this: "You can configure Remote Assistance so that administrators, support personnel, or any user, can offer assistance to other users without requiring them to initiate the Remote Assistance session. This capability is called "Unsolicited Remote Assistance," and is designed for use in Enterprise corporations that are using domains. By default, this feature is turned off, and it can only be turned on through the Unattend.txt file, or by using group policies."

Edit2: Bingo http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/ArticleID/21487/21487.html?Ad=1 Let me see if I can find a better one for you.

I've never redone any settings....I've never had to had clients initiate, you can initiate as the admin, they only need to approve once.

Our VPN will always exsist as the users i'm wanting to offer remote assistance are not local and I do not have computers setup for these users.

Will the 443 and 4125 for RWW still be the way to go since the people i'm wanting to offer remote assistance are dialing into my server throguh VPN?

Thanks for the feedback!

OK..lets draw out the setup....your wording is confusing.

You mention a Small Business Server...is this at your house, or is it an office/client..that you remote into from home to support?

These "users" you wish to help..are they part of the Small Business Server domain....this "office network"? Or are these "users" just stand alone people....various home users, etc.

The server is at the office and the users are stand alone/various computers around the state. We setup each user on our small business server 2003 through server management/users and setup rules that allow them to be mobile. They VPN into our server to use some software that's on it and that's pretty much it. I would like to offer training/setup help through remote assistance as they are connected via VPN.

Is this easy/free/possible?

Thanks again for the feedback!

Once they are connected through the VPN...you can remote assist their desktop right through the management console of the server, assuming that their workstations have been properly setup in active directory, and are getting the correct DNS settings via the VPN. If you're also running ISA..that may introduce some additional settings that have to be done.

Back