Remote desktop won't connect on home wifi network

soupcxan

Limp Gawd
I have two windows 7 PCs at home connected via wifi to the AT&T U-verse router. They're in the same subnet, same workgroup, and file sharing between them works. The only firewall on the computers is the default Windows firewall. Both have Remote Desktop Connection enabled. However when I try to RDC from either computer to the other, it just says Initiating Connection... and then times out after a minute.

Is there some obvious thing I need to do to get it working? Do ISP routers have some filter that is blocking the RDC traffic? Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?

if you try to ping one machine from the other, do you get a reply?

the only thing I can think of is wireless isolation on the router, but I wouldn't expect that to affect wireless-to-wireless communication; only wireless-to-wired, if it even has that option available.

I wouldn't expect it to block any wireless-to-wireless traffic, period.

Just for giggles, try disabling Windows Firewall on both boxes just to verify it isn't the cause. It doesn't look like you've tried that yet?

Maybe windows firewall is the problem. I'll try turning it off when I get home and report back. Thanks.

Ping is an awful tool to troubleshoot connectivity problems. Use telnet to the port instead.

I just checked Windows Firewall on both machines and Remote Assistance is enabled on the Home/Work (Private) network. Any other ideas?

I just checked Windows Firewall on both machines and Remote Assistance is enabled on the Home/Work (Private) network. Any other ideas?

Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop use different ports and are different applications.
I would still disable the Windows Firewall for testing purposes.

Damnit, I had Remote Assistance enabled, and Remote Desktop is something different. That's why it wasn't working. Duh. Thanks for helping figuring this out.

Back