Remote Desktop to Server not Connecting

TechieSooner

Supreme [H]ardness
Basically the subject. I get your general connection failed message, like the server just isn't there.

Connecting from XP Pro SP3 to SBS 2003 SP1.

It worked just fine today- and then one of the SE's accidentally rebooted it today... Now it doesn't. My first thought is Windows Update as the culprit.

Have any of you seen this problem?

It's not a DNS issue- I can go straight to the IP address and it still fails.
Not a firewall issue- this is entirely inside the LAN.

Try typing this in the Run box and see if it works.

mstsc /console

Hit enter

Then connect.

Sorry this might be too obvious but did you check if remote desktop is disabled by accident? I know it's unlikely but sometimes it's just smallest things that drives us crazy...

We sometimes have the issue of too many rdp sessions open since were too lazy to logout :p - that would be telling you i'd imagine, sounds like you just havent got rdp enabled one or both ends...

Try typing this in the Run box and see if it works.

mstsc /console

Hit enter

Then connect.
No dice.

Sorry this might be too obvious but did you check if remote desktop is disabled by accident? I know it's unlikely but sometimes it's just smallest things that drives us crazy...
I thought of that too... Even unchecked the box, and checked it again. Even explicitly allowed my username to connect.

We sometimes have the issue of too many rdp sessions open since were too lazy to logout :p - that would be telling you i'd imagine, sounds like you just havent got rdp enabled one or both ends...
Yea, usually you get a message. But I'm the only one that uses RDP around here and I only use one of two usernames- so it's never a problem.

Might connect to it with VNC tonight and reboot it- see if the problem is resolved... But it's an odd problem, that's for sure. Methinks might've been the Windows update that did it (although it had nothing to do with RDP) if a reboot doesn't solve it.

going with dragontales with sometimes it's just smallest things that drives us crazy...

One of our techs used to leave servers on DHCP, and sometimes after a reboot, they'd have a different IP - to fix it, we'd have to do ipconfig /flushdns. Check that.

can you ping it? While on the server, have you checked to make sure it's actually listening on that port? (3389, netstat -an) I've had more times then I care to remember that after a reboot RDP quits working and the only way to get it back to to do another reboot. (gotta love windows, a reboot fixes everything) Even disabling it and re-enabling it like you did won;t fix it.

I could ping it.
Could not access via RWW.

At any rate- forgot VNC password to connect. Luckily I had LogMeIn on my workstation- and Domain Admin account to use to initiate a shutdown -m from my workstation to get it rebooted and fixed tonight.

No idea what the reason was. Hmmm...

Back