Remote desktop login to an already logged in user on desktop?

_cashel

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking for a way to login via remote desktop to my HTPC user on my W7 HTPC rig. I want to be able to do this while the htpc user is already logged in and using the machine (to watch movies and whatnot) without them seeing what I'm doing (messing with Mediaportal config, file transfer, or something HTPC related). I thought I remember doing something like this a year or two back, but can't remember/find out how.

Windows 7 and any non server Windows OS doesn't allow more then 1 session. I believe that's also a term of the License agreement but I'm not sure.

You could make another Administrator user account remote into that. You'll have access to all of the User profiles and files.

You could make another Administrator user account remote into that. You'll have access to all of the User profiles and files.

But the screen will still go black. Only one logged on console session (local or remote) is allowed on the Desktop OS's.

What you're asking for is Terminal Services, a feature of Windows Server OS's. You can have up to 2 administrator sessions, plus the console before you need to buy terminal server licenses.

You should be able to do most things without logging in to the machine anyway, you can use the admin shares to access the disks, computer management to manage the computer remotely (for things like disk management etc) I remember there was a hack to allow multiple sessions on windows XP but I have no idea about later oses

Back