Remote desktop from XP to OSX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rombus

2[H]4U
Just looking for any suggestions for remote access to a OSX machine remotely? Client system is going to be XP. Trying to see if there is anything out there besides VNC that i might not have heard about.

Last edited:
Any personal experience with them? Anything that seems to work as well as RDP on Windows?

Any personal experience with them? Anything that seems to work as well as RDP on Windows?

Apple Remote Desktop (ARD) is what would be comparable to RDP.

Unfortunately its OS X only.

OS X has a built in VNC server that can be turned on under "Sharing" in the System Preferences.

Turn it on, set a password, and you can connect with any VNC client.

OS X has a built in VNC server that can be turned on under "Sharing" in the System Preferences.

Turn it on, set a password, and you can connect with any VNC client.

This.

Don't be fooled by Apple Remote Desktop. Unlike Microsoft's Remote Desktop, Apple's is just VNC in a fancy suit.

I've used VNC in the past and have been less than thrilled with the results, but that could have been a combination of settings or a poor connection. I think ill be trying Teamview (used it in the past) and once i reformat ill give VNC another shot. Thanks for the help.

This.

Don't be fooled by Apple Remote Desktop. Unlike Microsoft's Remote Desktop, Apple's is just VNC in a fancy suit.

ARD is more than just VNC, although it uses VNC for screen sharing. ARD also allows you to install upgrades and other things, as well as viewing multiple computers, although you need to enable these separately in the Sharing settings pane.

http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

Unfortunately there is no Windows version.

VNC is not firewall traversing. It does not appear that the OP has the skills to set up a VPN, given the basic level of the question.

ARD is more than just VNC, although it uses VNC for screen sharing. ARD also allows you to install upgrades and other things, as well as viewing multiple computers, although you need to enable these separately in the Sharing settings pane.

http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

Unfortunately there is no Windows version.

There are, but they're all enterprise priced.. :)

Another vote for Logmein.

Been using it for years. Actually connected to my home Mac from work right now.

VNC is not firewall traversing. It does not appear that the OP has the skills to set up a VPN, given the basic level of the question.

Did I do something to piss you off or are you an asshole in general? I love the unwarranted hate.

Frankly, I can setup a VPN fine, Previously I was using VNC tunneled via SSH. The point of this post was to get others OPINIONS about various remote access tools and to see if there was anything new that i may have overlooked. Yes, VNC works fine, but I just wondered what else others were using.

[Edit]
You know what, never mind, I'm locking this thread before it goes any further south, Thanks to 450, W.Feather, Absentee, criccio, and Mathmabeet for the suggestions.
[/Edit]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back