remote desktop for playing games over network?

Ragenrok

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys, was wondering if you could recommend a good application for streaming games from my main rig to my media server PC in my bedroom. Its over a wired network and I don't need remote control just viewing as all control would all be done through an xbox 360 wireless controller. I just want to be able to run emulators and light relaxing games that I can play in bed and just need to be able to stream the video/audio.

Reason I don't want to set it up on server is its done through steams big picture mode and since that would involve needing to sign into steam on server just to play it then resign into my main rig. I have no keyboard or mouse on server so its easier if I just stream it to my server.

So any recommendations for a good server/client for local network (both computers are win7 home)

You would want it fast regardless, so I would suggest radmin. I use ultravnc because of convenience but radmin when I want close to real-time display. You will need 1000base network connection to make it viable though.

Most RDP/VNC apps have a mirror driver that will probably offer better performance but none of them are going to work with Aero Glass (which you're going to want to disable anyway, again in the interest of better performance).

I would give TightVNC a shot. I've been using TightVNC (post-LogMeIn Free going 'bye bye') and have been real happy with it.

UltraVNC has poor support comparatively and a buggy mirror driver. I have no experience with Radmin because it appears to offer no free version (for what is more than likely a VNC server/client).

Steam in home streaming is your best bet. Before that I would have said Splashtop.

does this inhome streaming do non-steam games? My biggest ones I like is emulators using ICE to intergrate them into my steam library as installed games.

I can't imagine anything being playable. I run some Ultima Online macros in a VM sometimes and even that old game is dog slow via VNC, I would never pvp or even pvm like that.

Can you do HDMI over ethernet and just be hooked up directly to your PC? I haven't really looked into it at all, but unless the adapters add a lot of latency, it should be the fastest.

With Steam in-home streaming, you are allowed to sign in from more than one location. So you basically just leave your gaming rig signed in, then open steam big picture on your remote PC and stream them from your main rig.

Whether that works for 3rd party games I'm not sure, but it would be a great experiment to add a 3rd party game into steam and see if it is available to stream.

If you're playing Minecraft make sure you get a super light solid-colored texture pack; you can pull this off using RealVNC. :D (But this isn't video streaming.)

Back