Remote Desktop (Drag and Drop?)

Stormlifter

2[H]4U
Is there a way to make the Remote Desktop Screen able to Drag and Drop... Example. From my office computer, can I just drag an Icon into the RD window and have it transfer? Is there a way to enable Drag-and-Drop? Is there a program that enables it?

Not that I know of. You can copy and paste text from your computer to the remote computer, but I don't think you can get actual data over there.

I have the Filezilla FTP server running on my RD boxes to upload data. I think that's the only way.

If you're trying to get something from the internet, just use your browser in the remote computer to download - instead of downloading locally and then transferring over. I know it sounds like a given - but I've run across people that never thought of doing that.

Na, i thoguht of that, just wanted to know if I could just drag from a folder to a folder in the RDP... k thanks... guess not possible...

Hey have you herd of a program that increases PC-to-PC in LAN connection speed?..

Originally posted by Stormlifter
Hey have you herd of a program that increases PC-to-PC in LAN connection speed?..
not to be rude but that could have been phrased a little better.

if you're looking for a faster remote desktop thingy, try one of the vnc variants, i don't know which is the fastest one

Originally posted by Stormlifter
Na, i thoguht of that, just wanted to know if I could just drag from a folder to a folder in the RDP... k thanks... guess not possible...

I know with remote desktop there is a way to remotely mount drives. look in the options. you can do it. I have done it.

Originally posted by Lowbatt
I know with remote desktop there is a way to remotely mount drives. look in the options. you can do it. I have done it.

I searched around and couldn't find anything like this. If it is true, I'd love to know how to enable it.

ok I'm not able to test this anymore since I cant install remote desktop at work. To mount your drive remotely. go into the options on the remote desktop connection. The item you use to connect and not the connection options on your computer. Go to local resources tab and check disk drives. I think from there I was able to drag and drop between the pc's.

Accessories -> Communications -> Remote Desktop Connection

Then select 'Options >>' at the bottom of the window and then Local Resources....check any boxes in the 'Local devices' box that you want to be availble to you when you are using the remote computer. If you select 'Disk drives' then when you open Explorer on the remote computer you will see drive mappings that map back to your local system that you are accessing the remote system from. When you disconnect they go away. This is the easiest way to copy between the systems and you can drag-and-drop, copy, cut, and paste....anything you would normally be able to do....between the mapped and local drives. Have fun.

-kjb

Back