Remote Desktop Connection "The Local Security Authority cannot be contacted"

Nerva72

Weaksauce
Very strange problem I'm having with my home server. For many years I've had three Windows 7 x64 PC's on the home network -- my desktop, a HTPC, and a server -- and all was well. Every day on my desktop I would keep a RDC logged in to the server, so that I could quickly move files around if needed -- and all was well.

Then mysteriously this morning, I try to RDC to the server, and I get "The Local Security Authority cannot be contacted." I've never seen that error before.

I've done a lot of troubleshooting this morning, and I'm out of ideas -- here's what I've checked/tried so far:

1) Rebooted every router, switch, and computer in the house -- multiple times.

2) Googled the issue and found many references to people needing to change their passwords before they could RDC again. That shouldn't be an issue for me, but I logged into the server locally and checked the user accounts -- indeed, they are all set to never need their passwords updated.

3) Checked if RDC works for other computers. My desktop was able to RDC to the HTPC, the HTPC was able to RDC to my desktop, and the server was able to RDC to my desktop. But neither my desktop nor the HTPC can RDC to the server, even though both of them have done so prior to today.

4) There were definitely no windows updates (besides definition updates for MSE) installed in the last three days, and probably not for a couple weeks at least.

5) The one thing I could think of that's changed, is that yesterday I upgraded all the PC's to the latest Realtek gigabit ethernet drivers. So I uninstalled the drivers completely on my desktop and the server, and reinstalled the previous drivers -- it didn't fix the problem.

6) Network Level Authentication was not required, so I tried requiring it -- didn't work. Tried putting it back to not requiring it -- still doesn't work.

7) I tried temporarily disabling the WIndows Firewall -- still doesn't work.

8) I tried clearing my credentials by going to User Accounts > Manage your credentials, and removing everything -- no luck.

9) I've tried logging into the server both to the typical admin account (which is always logged-in) and to my own personal account (with admin privs) which is the same name/password as my desktop's account, but both accounts give the same "Local Security Authority" error. I can access the server's FILES over the network just fine from both my desktop and the HTPC, however.

10) I tried changing the server's password (even though passwords never expire and the "must change password on next logon" is not checked), but no luck.

11) I tried running "ipconfig /flushdns" on both my desktop and the server, but no difference.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I ended up just restoring an image backup from a few days earlier. If I encounter the problem again, I'll give that one a try. Thanks!

Back