Remote backup for my NAS

doug_7506

2[H]4U
Hi all,

I have a desktop on a network with a NAS.

My desktop backsup to my NAS and I have a local HDD for my NAS to backup too. But I would like a remote place for my NAS to backup to as well in case of sudden fire or surge that kills both. What is my best option?

IdiotInCharge

[H]ardForum Junkie
Any cloud provider that you can store your data encrypted to. Could be a commercial solution, could be a family or friend.

[remember that 'cloud' just means 'someone else's server']

doug_7506

2[H]4U
Any cloud provider that you can store your data encrypted to. Could be a commercial solution, could be a family or friend.

[remember that 'cloud' just means 'someone else's server']
Exactly. That's what I'm looking for.

What's the best option for doing this? Do any of the backup services (Carbonite etc) offer NAS backup?

acascianelli

[H]ardness Supreme
I have a local and a remote backup for my NAS. I have an external HDD connected by USB, and I have a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian as hardened as I could make it with a USB attached harddrive at my parents house across the county.

86 5.0L

[H]ardness Supreme
Mega is supposedly encrypted before it hits their servers, FYI, if you lose access to your account and lose the recovery key, youre SOL

cyclone3d

[H]ardForum Junkie
You can do it in a roundabout way with any backup service.

I use Backblaze - unlimited space for 50-60 a year.

Since you already have a local drive to backup your NAS, just backup to the backup service from your local backup drive.

Some services do have plans that allow you to backup networked and/or external drives, but the plans cost more than the plans that are meant to only backup internal drives.

Some of them you used to be able to get around by mapping the network drives but not sure if that is possible anymore. They may have changed the code to block that.

Steve1123

n00b
The best option is to chose a cloud hosting provider who can provide back ups and especially at multiple geo-locations if required, you can also opt for customized Frequency of backups,
for example daily incremental backup, backup every 8 hours or 4 hours

Nicklebon

Gawd
Depending on your NAS you could use Cloudberry and then choose your storage provider based on whatever criteria is important to you. I prefer having full control of my backups, the encryption and most importantly the keysvs trusting the cloud providers. Cloudberry gives me that.