Reminder - January 1st, 2019 - Steam stops support for XP/Vista

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Hardware' started by modi123, Jun 13, 2018 at 11:53 AM.

1. modi123

modi123 [H]ardness Supreme

Reminder to get, at least, on to Win7.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1558-AFCM-4577

2. Armenius

Armenius [H]ardForum Junkie

Damn, no more playing Skyrim on the ATM.

AceGoober likes this.
  3. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Limp Gawd

Little bit surprising see the cut of Vista but not 7. They use the same kernel.

4. Armenius

Well extended support for Vista ended April of last year. It doesn't end for W7 until 2020.

5. bigdogchris

bigdogchris Wii was a Novelty

So people are going to lose access to all of their older games that only run well on XP?

6. Armenius

Such as? I don't know of a game I have on Steam that has not worked well on W7 and later. Vampire The Masquerade requiring the fan patch is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. I think one or both of the Bloodrayne titles also need patches, but I don't own them.

7. odditory

odditory [H]ardness Supreme

Technically Steam won't stop working on Vista (or XP for that matter), Valve will just stop officially supporting it, meaning no longer guaranteeing the latest Steam client will work on them, and no longer testing changes against XP and Vista.

They're not going to pull a Microsoft and intentionally block XP or Vista. That's not what this is about.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 3:00 PM
    FlawleZ likes this.
  8. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

I suspect this is only really going to hurt those Chinese internet cafes. Though I would hope most of them are at least running 7 now.

You sure? The announcement clearly says it will no longer work on those OSes:

Armenius likes this.