Remastering an Anime Classic – AKIRA and Blu-Ray

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Blu-ray.com has an interesting article on the remastering process that BANDAI Visual used in preparation for the BD release of the popular anime movie, AKIRA. Check it out if you like this sort of thing.

Even though AKIRA had major restoration work done for the 2001 DVD release, including a 1080p theatrical quality master, advances in digital restoration and film transfer technologies have increased to the point where a brand new transfer was warranted.

I hated the new voice-overs when they remastered it for DVD. The original english script was already really good. Doubt I'll be buying this again in Blu-ray.

Probably still has the HORIBLE re-dub that they applied when it was in theaters a number of years ago.

Ill stick with my Criterion Collection LD.

dubs suck end of story
subtitles are the only way to watch anime to bad 99% of the "official" ones suck too
oh well fansubs FTW

Awesome. I was wondering whether they were going to develop a new print or use the 2001 remaster (which looked the best the film has ever looked IMO). This is good news!

*shrug*, when I went through the anime stage when I was younger, Akira was not on my list of top anime.

I hated the new voice-overs when they remastered it for DVD. The original english script was already really good. Doubt I'll be buying this again in Blu-ray.

Agreed. The original voices made the experience for me.

Just started watching anime movies,.....::ducks rocks:: Never heard of AKIRA but I've really enjoyed "Spirited Away" and "Princess Mononoke",

Just started watching anime movies,.....::ducks rocks:: Never heard of AKIRA but I've really enjoyed "Spirited Away" and "Princess Mononoke",

Akira is nothing like those. Futuristic punk movie, with mutations and futuristic motorbikes :p

I wonder how much better quality this blu-ray release could actually make it. I mean... come on... I'm gonna guess it wont be too much of a difference.

foreign films should never be watched with redubs. Subtitles, learn the language, or go home.

I agree ... subtitles are the only way to go with foreign films

Akira is definately a classic in my book .. I need to get me a PS3 for folding and watching blu-ray movies now ... :)

Overall Miyazaki films are my favorite, both for the characters and the music (Spirited Away soundtrack is great). Be sure to catch Howl's Moving Castle, Nausicca, and Porco Rosso....there are some others, but those are some of the more high profile ones.

However Akira is very special as well. Primarily as taken from the perspective of the quality of the art. The movie was all hand drawn and the attention to detail is just stunning. If you look around the various scenes there are alot of small little discrete details in the background and such, like flashing lights and other moving details. The fact they put so much effort into it is just mesmorizing. I have the Pioneer 2001 DVD and personally I think the english is very good.

Now, when will Advent Children show up on Blu-Ray :cool:

Damn, GITS is out on BD, and now Akira? I better get a bluray player.

Are there any improvements? and has there been a release of Innocence yet? (a copy worth buying, not the crap DVD they released here in NA)

Still cant find a good import of Innocence (UK version)

Great, so now Akira can be completely nonsensical in 1080p ;) I bought the DVD, watched it, and thought, "WTF!? There's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back."

as far as the darker side of classic anime

Ninja Scroll > Akira end of story.

Akira is ok, but they crammed like...4 bible side trade paperbacks into 2 hours... think about that.

and for the record...how do you go through an anime stage? I'm going on 13 years of being pretty crazy into anime...if anything it has it's slow periods, but considering i'm driving to katsucon in like 2 hours i think i'm on a particular upswing

foreign films should never be watched with redubs. Subtitles, learn the language, or go home.

Except for FMA. English sounds so much more natural for FMA. At least compared to Japanese. It would probably seem even more natural in German. FMA is unique though based on the country it models its world after.

as far as the darker side of classic anime

Ninja Scroll > Akira end of story.

Akira is ok, but they crammed like...4 bible side trade paperbacks into 2 hours... think about that.

and for the record...how do you go through an anime stage? I'm going on 13 years of being pretty crazy into anime...if anything it has it's slow periods, but considering i'm driving to katsucon in like 2 hours i think i'm on a particular upswing

They didn't do a horrible job adapting the manga, but it's a pity they didn't really deal with Akira himself all the much.

I wonder how much better quality this blu-ray release could actually make it. I mean... come on... I'm gonna guess it wont be too much of a difference.

Always one in the crowd...of course it's going to look a hell of a lot better than the DVD.

Animation shows even more of a picture quality difference between standard-def and hi-def, plus the sound will be lossless.

I really wish they would release anime series in BR format, although hopefully the U.S. publishers won't be attempting to price match the Japanese release..... 50 dollars per 4 episodes from a 26 episode series is just stupid.

I really wish they would release anime series in BR format, although hopefully the U.S. publishers won't be attempting to price match the Japanese release..... 50 dollars per 4 episodes from a 26 episode series is just stupid.

Yeah. I'd buy anime on Blu-Ray, if it didn't cost like near double the price of a new release BD movie. I'd love to see the Studio Gibili movies on Blu-Ray.

Yeah. I'd buy anime on Blu-Ray, if it didn't cost like near double the price of a new release BD movie.

Amen to that. I was going to have my parents send me the Macross Frontier BD releases but they're $40-50 bucks each. For two episodes?!?! I'll just wait for the boxset.

So I have yet to actually find a copy in a brick and morter store. I have tried multiple stores of Best Buy, Barnes and Nobles, and Fry's. They all acknowledge the movie exists, but none carry it in stock.

Back