Remastered “Half-Life 2” Coming to Vive & Rift with VR Controller Support

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The original Half-Life 2 VR mod, which debuted back in 2013, is being updated to support the latest hardware so Rift and Vive owners may experience the classic game in a new dimension. Included is motion controller support, as well HDR lighting, updated textures, and a new for-VR UI. All you need is a copy of the original game and its episodic content, as the mod is free. This is certainly going to make the wait for Half-Life 3 easier…

Praised as one of the greatest games ever made, the 13-year-old Half-Life 2 is a lauded piece of gaming history. But soon you’ll be able to revisit the perils of City 17 using the latest and greatest VR hardware around. A reborn mod project is bringing compatibility for the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive with full motion input support, remastered visuals, a made-for-VR UI, realistic weapon interactions, and more. Those who have been following the modern VR era since the beginning may recall the original HLVR mod launched in 2013 that was well ahead of it’s time, offering motion-controller input via the Razer Hydra, literally years before Oculus or Valve would announce their own VR controllers.

Ya i posted this at 8:08 am this morning im beyond the staff member stuff here ;)

Finally... was getting tedious downloading each new iteration of FakeFactory's Cinematic mod :p

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Vomit. Seriously, I don't understand how this will work without inducing motion sickness while you move around the level. My understanding is that's one of the prime reasons Valve dropped HL2 VR support in the first place.

Do we know how you move in the game? I've got a Vive, and I'll check it out just to see how City 17 looks in VR.

At one point there was a VR version of half-life 2, available directly from steam, that worked on the DK1. That version seems to have disappeared sometime early last year

I did play a little on my DK1 and the motion sickness was pretty powerful , I played it anyway , I just kept my Acme Gaming Puke Bucket beside my desk!

Does anyone know if this mod will bring anything new to the table for those of us that aren't on the VR bandwagon?

Sounds like a motion sickness roller coaster. What about having a whole game/level replay option and you could do an on foot spectator mode? You could see your game/level completion in a whole different angle.

At one point there was a VR version of half-life 2, available directly from steam, that worked on the DK1. That version seems to have disappeared sometime early last year

That's basically what the article talks about. It only worked with DX9 but all the new VR headsets need DX10+. The guy basically wrote a wrapper or injector or something to translate the DX9 to DX10.

floaty hands again... God I can't stand this in VR.

That's basically what the article talks about. It only worked with DX9 but all the new VR headsets need DX10+. The guy basically wrote a wrapper or injector or something to translate the DX9 to DX10.

The new version mentions fixing weapon interactions and adding motion controller support, which seems like more than just a wrapper.

The old VR version really was just a wrapper around the original game though, complete with floaty weapons and hands that ended at the elbows.

Vomit. Seriously, I don't understand how this will work without inducing motion sickness while you move around the level. My understanding is that's one of the prime reasons Valve dropped HL2 VR support in the first place.

Not everyone has a weak stomach and gets sick from these types of games. Half Life 2 with the native Valve code was the best VR game I've played to date, and that was back on the DK2 without motion controls. I don't care for teleport gimmicks. I don't get sick. I want a REAL game with REAL substance and content. Not shallow indie games that are boring and super low quality.

Not everyone has a weak stomach and gets sick from these types of games. Half Life 2 with the native Valve code was the best VR game I've played to date, and that was back on the DK2 without motion controls. I don't care for teleport gimmicks. I don't get sick. I want a REAL game with REAL substance and content. Not shallow indie games that are boring and super low quality.
I hear you completely about wanting real games in VR, but moving the camera around when the player isn't actually moving can trigger a hell of a lot of people. I'm wondering if there's any actual solution to try and mitigate this this, or if it's just going to be target a smaller niche of what's already a niche audience and everyone else can get lost.

Finally... was getting tedious downloading each new iteration of FakeFactory's Cinematic mod :p

That guy still doing updates? I stopped updating when he swapped all the models for these weird looking prefabs he thought looked good, I would say around CM8 or 9?

Back