Reliable router for long term torrenting

Kido1986

[H]ard|Gawd
I am looking for a reliable wireless router. There are three of us that use it and all use Bittorrent a lot. I have a Linksys WRT54G v5 now and after 24-36 hours of torrenting, it will need a reset. I've read about people liking the D-Link 855 but will it hold up for reliable torrenting for days on end (we are part of private trackers to ratios are important, we seed alot).

I am using DLINK 655 and its the best. I have tried all different brands all with huge promise and everyone of them failing. I never have to reset the router and i download torrents all the time. Oh, its also connected to two laptops, two desktops, and two xbox 360's.

*nix mini itx and a nice wireless ap? I havent managed to crash ipcop with over 300 hours of constant torrenting.

I dont think the DIR855 is back on the market yet. Its also a dual band model, so if none of your wireless devices support 5ghz N its probably not worth the wait or extra cash. Look into the DIR655 or DGL4500 if your set on d-Link. I can personally vouch for my 4500 remaining stable under heavy torrents from at least my computer. If you dont want to spend that much money, a WRT54GL, Asus WL500g/gU etc that can take a full version of custom firmware is would help.

You should try flashing your current WRT54g to DD-WRT micro. The stock firmware tracks connection information for something like 2 days, which fills up its relatively gimped memory pretty fast.

My 655 has gone 18 days without a restart with constant torrents and usenet running. The QOS works great also. My wrt54g v8 is garbage. You get what you pay for with routers now, since linksys crippled the wrt54g.

Make a dedicated router like smoothwall, ipcop, monowall, etc. Those are the best for torrenting.

Then just set your router to be an AP (turn off DHCP and just plug the lan portion into the firewall, not the wan)

Thanks guys. I meant the 655 when I made this thread but accidently typed 855. I guess Ill look into the 655 afterall. I don't want to have to build a dedicated box for a router, esp with my low electricity cap so if the 655 seems to hold up under heavy traffic, it may be what I need. I assume the range on it is good? It will be going about 70ft through 3 thin walls and there are many other wifi networks here. My 54g can do it but the signal occasionally gets weak (I've already analyzed all the channels being used and used the least busy one I can).

Make a dedicated router like smoothwall, ipcop, monowall, etc. Those are the best for torrenting.

+1 This is the way to go!

My 655 has gone 18 days without a restart with constant torrents and usenet running. The QOS works great also. My wrt54g v8 is garbage. You get what you pay for with routers now, since linksys crippled the wrt54g.

My smoothwall has gone over a year without a reboot. And that was from an extended power outage. :D

Any router built onto a generic pc is going to be perfect for a heavy torrenter.

I recomend PFsense as its light but still has plenty of features.

Any old PC will be fine for this, 256 RAM to be on the COMPLETE safe side althogh with 128 you probably wont notice any problems.

Yes, dedicated PC with a *nix distro on it is the ONLY way to go. Most consumer routers will croak with heavy torrenting. I've never had an IPCop or Smoothwall crash EVER.....

I'm running DD-WRT on a Buffalo WHR-G125, and have bittorrent running 24/7 without any problems.

I move tons of data through D-Link DGL-4100 and DGL-4300 and they NEVER go down, I have at least got 200 days uptime on the 4100 and it is still as fast as can be:)

Linksys WRT-350N has been running for months just fine. loads better then my tomato wrt54g which still needed a reboot bi-monthly.

I move tons of data through D-Link DGL-4100 and DGL-4300 and they NEVER go down, I have at least got 200 days uptime on the 4100 and it is still as fast as can be:)

Moving 'tons of data' is nothing compared to torrenting.... it will kill most routers FAST, especially with 15-20 torrents running at a time....

Yes, dedicated PC with a *nix distro on it is the ONLY way to go. Most consumer routers will croak with heavy torrenting. I've never had an IPCop or Smoothwall crash EVER.....
Yeah really man, my IPCOP box is running stronger than any SOHO router ever will

I use Astaro on an dedicated PC. I haven't had any issues with it puking. You can even setup QoS to give your other traffic priority so you can actually use the web or game while you torrent.

DIR-655, I transfer files over the network (a few gigs + cat 6) at around 50mbps as for torrents I ran it for days on torrents and no problems.

Another vote for IPCop. It never ever crashes or has problems. I have a gigabit connection to my work network and it is able to handle transferring data at gigabit speeds without slowing down at all.

Moving 'tons of data' is nothing compared to torrenting.... it will kill most routers FAST, especially with 15-20 torrents running at a time....

I did not want to just say torrenting, I run tons of stuff on a pretty big network and it NEVER needs a restart.... I agree that torrenting takes tons of power, due to all the open connections, etc.....

What is the different between the 655 and the 4500? Is it just the LCD on the unit?

4500 also has thier gamefuel QoS engine (worthless), radio that does 5ghz N, and some other differences switch itself. Really, just stick with the 655 if you dont want 5ghz N band.

I dont need the second frequency since most of my stuff is G, so I wasnt sure about the Gamefuel (terrible name btw) vs standard QoS on the 655. I really want everything to have priority over P2P traffic, particularly Browsing and Xbox Live.

Does the 655 let you choose your priorities or just assume what you want?

Oh, and pkus the 4500 is $180 @ BB so I can get it local, but it includes a $30 gift card with it so its basicall the smae price as newegg for the 4500 after the gift card (after $10 tax). Or I can get the 655 for $150. In the long run its the same price as long as I have $30 in other stuff I need to buy from BB.

Another vote for dedicated *nix box. More features, better stability.

I dont need the second frequency since most of my stuff is G, so I wasnt sure about the Gamefuel (terrible name btw) vs standard QoS on the 655. I really want everything to have priority over P2P traffic, particularly Browsing and Xbox Live.

Firmware Emulator for the DGL-4500
http://www.support.dlink.com/emulators/dgl4500/login.html

Emulator for the DIR-655
http://support.dlink.com/Emulators/dir655/login.html

You can see for yourself what kind of QoS settings they have.

I've always though my connection was being disconnected due to my dsl modem not my d-link router. Could it be the dsl modem?

another vote for ipcop

with decent hardware itll swing that fine, ive never had an issue with my ipcop under severe loads

I've always though my connection was being disconnected due to my dsl modem not my d-link router. Could it be the dsl modem?

Highly highly doubt it...unless your DSL modem is actually a combo modem/router that's already running as a router.

Highly highly doubt it...unless your DSL modem is actually a combo modem/router that's already running as a router.

YeOldeStonecat, is probably right on here, most DSL modems that consumers use, have built in, NAT Routers.....

Easy way to find out: Plug your computer directly into the modem.

I back the DIR-655. Looks snazzy, lots of features, and never lags.

I can download a few torrents, play on XBL, and stream a movie with minimal to no disruption.

Sorry to thread-steal, but it's on topic...

Does anyone have a recommendation for low low wattage (quiet) hardware and a CF card for ipcop?
I really like the idea of a dedicated *nix system, but I really don't want another full blown computer sucking energy.

I'm seeding about 500 torrents on a 20mbps symmetric connection on a dlink 655, no problems

I have an Xbox 360 wireless with priority, so that it stays constant connection. I also installed the 9 dbi omni antenna to one of the antenna connections on the router. It gives me 4 bars on the 360 from about 100 ft through the walls and floors.

I have tried all the major consumer brand routers in the low $200-125, Linksys, Belkin, Netgear, etc. with failed results to my standards. You will like the DLINK 655, trust me. ;)

I just got back with a 4500 so Ill let you guys know how it goes.

BB has it for $180 but they give you a $30 gift card (Plus I had a $5 card to BB already). $10 more than newegg but $30, not too bad IMO.

Back